Aquarium stand update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Over the past few evenings, and this afternoon I have made some progress on the aquarium stand. I still have the back to cut to size and the doors to make (after I get some hinges).

Aquarium_Stand_92406_-_02.JPG

Aquarium_Stand_92406_-_03.JPG

Aquarium_Stand_92406_-_06.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Monty

New User
Monty
Good to see the progress... now I see where you're going with this! How are the top/bottom/shelf attached to the sides?

T

toolferone

Dave, The stand looks great! I know you are only putting a 10 gal tank on it, but I have a few thoughts. Will the tank edges be sitting right on top of the stand sides? This would give you the most compression strength. The top shelf would help distribute that load if it was on top of the sides. I am sure you will be putting a back on it. Maybe have the back under the top shelf will help and the back will give you control over racking. Also tanks like to be very level. You probably know all this already, but I felt better asking.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Monty,
The top and bottom are stopped rabbets and the middle is a stopped dado. It's pretty sturdy already with out the back on it so I think it is going to be ok.

Tom,
The top I have in the pics will not be the final top, I was thinking of making a slightly oversize top for the tank to sit centered on, and giving about 3/4 to 1" reveal around the sides and the front of the case. I was thinking for the top another piece of edge banded plywood and as you mention putting the back on under the top to give the back edge of the top support to prevent bowing under the weight. For leveling I was thinking of getting some adjustable feet to hide up under the case to allow minor leveling adjustments. I think since it will be on carpet you wouldn't even know they were there.

Thanks for your thoughts!

T

toolferone

The only other thing that comes to mind is tipping over. The aquariums are pretty thin front to back. Anyway just my .02 cents worth. Look forward to seeing it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS