anyone using a portable a/c for their shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am considering getting an AC for my shop (2-car garage) but I live with an HOA and can't install a window unit and don't want the expense of a traditional system.

Does anyone here have a portable a/c and are they satisfied with the performance? I know it will not be as efficient as other types but I don't foresee running it 24/7. My plan would be to fire it up the night before or the morning of a planned shop day so it is not 95 degrees while I am in there.

Thoughts??

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yes. I have a single hose model and it does okay, but I am under a bonus room. I had the same concern and it looks like a dryer from outside.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I searched for my post/thread and couldn't find it. I found the one where I asked about venting under the house and was talked out of it. Here is my short synopsis of one hose versus two hose...

Two hose is more efficient and is the only game in town if you have a well sealed and insulated space. If that describes your garage, don't even bother reading on...

If you are still with me, a portable A/C pulls in air in the space and blows it back out cooler. To do that, it also pulls in some air that it blows out hotter. A two hose pulls that air in from outside and blows it back outside. A single hose gets that air inside and then blows it out outside, so the space has to leak air. The trick is to make sure that the biggest leak is close to the unit. Mine is right next to the man door into my garage. On really hot days, I open the door a crack. That may sound crazy but it works. The amount of air recirculating and cooling far out paces what leaks in and what is blown out hot.

EDIT - Just to make sure I don't oversell - Two hose models are better. One hose models are cheaper to buy, but run longer to keep the space cool. But they only have the outward vent that can use a dryer vent cover that closes when it isn't blowing out. The inlet hose of a two hose model has to have a filter (screen) and stay open. If you HOA is super picky, it will need to be under a bush or something.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Luckily insulation is not a problem; all walls are insulated, I have brand new energy efficient windows, I insulated the overhead door and there is a climate controlled bonus room up top. In fact, after I insulted the overhead door I was able to keep 65-70F during the coldest winter days/nights with nothing more than a $20 electric space heater from Lowes.

Dryer vent holes should not be a problem as far as HOA goes; so I will do some checking on the the two hose types.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS