Anyone here ever make pistol grips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
I recently bought a 1911, and one of the grips has a small crack below the bottom screw. Anyone here have experience making new grips, and know where I can get stabilized wood, and instructions?

mountaintop

New User
Keith
I made couple out of a small piece of Cocobola wood I had gotten on ebay. I skipped the checkering part but as there's not a lot of kick they seem to work fine.

romanf

New User
Roman
I made some for the 1911. I used the grips that were on the pistol and used them as my guide. Basically you cut them out on the band saw and then hand finish until you get the curvature just right for your hand. Drill out the holes before you start any finish work. I have used walnut and cocobolo, brazilian rosewood and ebony.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am sure there are a variety of vendors, but the folks who supply the knifemakers often have a great selection of stabilized wood. In fact there are enough suppliers that you may have trouble looking through all the offerings.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a wraparound set for a Ruger Security Six and a flat set for a Ruger Mark I many years ago. Both are long gone and never made pictures back then.

The 1911 grip set is about the easiest thing you'll ever make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS