Anyone have any handsaw's laying around?

thebroofmoses

Aaron
User
I have been on the hunt for some time now for a aggressive rip tooth hand saw and a decent tenon saw. I'm looking for a more aggressive TPI on the rip saw, around 4-6 and on the longer side, and any tenon saw would do. If anyone has any suggestions beyond antique malls and flea markets, trying to stay in as much as I can recently, that would be helpful. Doesn't have to be pretty or ready to use, just good enough condition to bring it back to life.

I'm currently using a pull saw for my rip cuts, but that is getting too laborious. It starts off with a fine cut at 10 TPI then finishes our with 7 TPI and I am finding that the thin blade is great for the kerf but likes to travel a bit in some of the more unforgiving grain patterns. I don't need a decent surface because I'll end up planning it anyway.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions or if there is any advice those of which have had good success in the hunt.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Short of ordering a new custom built saw for $400-600 all I can saw is keep looking.

You might try contacting Ed or Eric at the Vintage Tool Shoppe in New Hampshire.

Edward Lebetkin​
202 Bennington Dr, Chapel Hill
NC 27516 United States
edlebetkin@gmail.com

eric@nail1.com
The Vintage Tool Shoppe · 54 Danville Rd · PO Box 71 · Fremont, NH 03044 · USA

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike's suggestions are good ones. Here is a website that I've dealt with in the past. I believe he still sells both already sharpened and saws requiring sharpening.

I've had very mixed results on ebay. Some good some bad. You have to read the descriptions and pay close attention to the pictures.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I have been on the hunt for some time now for a aggressive rip tooth hand saw and a decent tenon saw. I'm looking for a more aggressive TPI on the rip saw, around 4-6 and on the longer side, and any tenon saw would do. If anyone has any suggestions beyond antique malls and flea markets, trying to stay in as much as I can recently, that would be helpful. Doesn't have to be pretty or ready to use, just good enough condition to bring it back to life.

I'm currently using a pull saw for my rip cuts, but that is getting too laborious. It starts off with a fine cut at 10 TPI then finishes our with 7 TPI and I am finding that the thin blade is great for the kerf but likes to travel a bit in some of the more unforgiving grain patterns. I don't need a decent surface because I'll end up planning it anyway.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions or if there is any advice those of which have had good success in the hunt.
The Great Adirondack Tool Company has a few saws. I have purchased from him in the past and was satisfied.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm pretty sure I have a 6 TPI rip saw that I was going to sell at a tool meet before Covid cancelled everything. It would need to be sharpened but otherwise is in good shape. I'll take a look and provide details tomorrow. Pretty sure it's a Disston.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I switched from English to Japanese for tenon saw. Never going back. I have an Tyzack backsaw if you want it.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I checked on the saw I have for sale this morning. The brass medallion has "W.S. & M. Co Warranted" so not a Disston. There is a faint etching but I can't make it out. It has a 26" blade with 6 TPI and is in good condition. Only issues are 1 tooth with the tip broken (see picture) and a slight bow in the blade (about 3/32" over the length of the blade). It cuts as is, but needs a good sharpening. Asking $35. PM if you're interested.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg
IMG_2544.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Look up Chris Black here in the forum. Had him sharpen my old Distons and am very happy. Also bought a scrub plane from him. After using it a few times, I wonder why it was not the second plane I ever bought!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Also look at Craigslist in Mendocino, calif and north into Oregon. You will find various hand tools in those areas that are vintage

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a couple 5 point rip saws I’ll let go. Sharp and ready to go, $50 a piece

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm looking for a junk saw to make a different tool, does not need to be straight, teeth don't matter.
Mostly needs to be free of rust. Must be at least 10 inch by 2 inch and thicker is better.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm looking for a junk saw to make a different tool, does not need to be straight, teeth don't matter.
Mostly needs to be free of rust. Must be at least 10 inch by 2 inch and thicker is better.
I have a Craftsman 3512 dovetail/gents saw that you can have. The plate measures 10" x 2¼", and it's thicker than all of my hand saws.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS