Anybody ever turn???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Had a storm come through the other day and take down a limb.Thankfully it wasn't he whole tree.But the tree it Black Gum.I was just wondering if anyone has ever turned it before?If so how is it?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No personal experience with it. But after we talked on the phone about it the other day I had to do some research. If it is Nyssa sylvatica what I know as Black Gum or Tupelo. My initial assessment were pretty close. Interlocking grain (similar to Elm) which will make it a little tougher to turn, and that will be exasperated by it being limb wood. Fairly bland color with mostly light colored sap wood and a little brownish heart wood. A lot of movement when drying, but fairly stable once dried and in service.

But it's free wood and that is the best turning wood. If the piece doesn't turn out as you hoped it was valuable practice in wood-turning and sharpening. As long as it is a large enough diameter to cut the pith out of it and still have enough left to turn, I say go for it...what do you have to lose.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS