Antique wooden leg vise

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
At their top, leg vises either have wooden or a metal screw and are pretty much the same. Below, leg vises have literally dozens of variations of a mechanism to keep the chop from tilting under load.

This post will describe a leg vise that I used as a teenager when I was heavily into repair of autos, trucks, and tractors. I grew up on a subsistence farm in the Capital district of NY and my brother lives on that farm today. I used this vise (without paying any heed to its construction) to hold generators, starters, and many other items for repair. I was not at all into woodworking then. The age of this vise is probably North of 90 years. I asked my brother for some pictures and I was surprised by the cleverness of the design.
330293859_547203840710980_6077243523182431603_n.jpg

The screw is an ordinary Acme vise screw with a crude eye-bolt tommy bar. The mechanism to keep the chop from tilting is a triangular bracing that keeps the chop from tilting by pressing against the bottom of the benchtop and bearing on the slots in the apron. The short horizontal piece fastened to the guide rail serves as an out-travel stop.
327640899_506307994987280_6030833068319555377_n.jpg
330331836_1411860866321987_2059899842349890783_n.jpg

This vise was designed for a bench with a heavy front apron. I prefer benches where the front legs are flush with the benchtop (no apron). Thinking about this design has gotten my mind churning about adapting the triangular bracing scheme to a Ruobo style workbench using maybe a couple of ball bearings. Another topic to think through on my morning walks.
321159162_899067971289403_6864772884752930875_n.jpg

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
At their top, leg vises either have wooden or a metal screw and are pretty much the same. Below, leg vises have literally dozens of variations of a mechanism to keep the chop from tilting under load.

This post will describe a leg vise that I used as a teenager when I was heavily into repair of autos, trucks, and tractors. I grew up on a subsistence farm in the Capital district of NY and my brother lives on that farm today. I used this vise (without paying any heed to its construction) to hold generators, starters, and many other items for repair. I was not at all into woodworking then. The age of this vise is probably North of 90 years. I asked my brother for some pictures and I was surprised by the cleverness of the design.
View attachment 216707

The screw is an ordinary Acme vise screw with a crude eye-bolt tommy bar. The mechanism to keep the chop from tilting is a triangular bracing that keeps the chop from tilting by pressing against the bottom of the benchtop and bearing on the slots in the apron. The short horizontal piece fastened to the guide rail serves as an out-travel stop.
View attachment 216708View attachment 216709

This vise was designed for a bench with a heavy front apron. I prefer benches where the front legs are flush with the benchtop (no apron). Thinking about this design has gotten my mind churning about adapting the triangular bracing scheme to a Ruobo style workbench using maybe a couple of ball bearings. Another topic to think through on my morning walks.
View attachment 216711
Thanks for this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like it. If one wanted the leg to be flush it would be easy to add a piece to the front of the leg the same thickness as the apron.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thanks for this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like it. If one wanted the leg to be flush it would be easy to add a piece to the front of the leg the same thickness as the apron.

One reason for posting was to see if anyone else had seen this design. Maybe done by a skilled carpenter who could visualize a free body diagram?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
The 1900ish house I owned in PA had a built in bench in the basement with a leg vise. I have permanent bruises left by kicking myself for not taking it with me when I moved to NC. One of these return trips I just might go knock on the door and offer to “clean out the cellar”

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
At the RDU lunch today, Jim Creaseman and I were discussing this vise design. I shared some thoughts orally on what I might do in a modern implementation of the chop bracing in the antique vise. Here is a concepts "cartoon" that I made with DeltaCad. The bench is my Ruobo bench with 5" square legs.
leg_vise.png

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I really appreciate the thoughtful details of your designs and you’ve baffled me with one this time!
What is the rationale behind the arced brace panel rather than a plain old straight line angle?
Is it to create clearance for the nut block while maintaining bearing surfaces at both ends?
I’m sure I’m missing something.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I really appreciate the thoughtful details of your designs and you’ve baffled me with one this time!
What is the rationale behind the arced brace panel rather than a plain old straight line angle?
Is it to create clearance for the nut block while maintaining bearing surfaces at both ends?
I’m sure I’m missing something.
Primarily aesthetic. Access to the nut block for adjustment was one factor.

Needed to reach from the lower part of the chop to the bottom of the benchtop. A right angle was klunky. A parallel side diagonal was too big at the top. Next try was a tapered diagonal and then the curved diagonal looked better to me.

The two arcs are each 1/6 of a circle which is usually pleasant.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Primarily aesthetic. Access to the nut block for adjustment was one factor.

Needed to reach from the lower part of the chop to the bottom of the benchtop. A right angle was klunky. A parallel side diagonal was too big at the top. Next try was a tapered diagonal and then the curved diagonal looked better to me.

The two arcs are each 1/6 of a circle which is usually pleasant.
thanks - I can put that puzzle aside now!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is an updated "cartoon" adding a front view and the spherical insert bearing,. Editing the original post did not allow me to replace that PNG image.
leg_vise.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS