Antique Craftsman King-Seeley Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I unintentionally hijacked the thread "Drill Press, How much to spend and how much to get" to discuss the issues with my Craftsman King-Seeley drill press. It appears to be a Model 100 or thereabouts. What I recently discovered is that it has the Vari-Slo attachment.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/5578.pdf

The connecting link and the control link seem to be problems. The connecting link is jammed onto the studs at each end, and the control link appears to be floating. The drill press has not been powered in a very long time.

The question remains as to whether this drill press is worth reviving. The online literature for it suggests that it can be used as a router and as a drum sander, which I assume suggests that it has a chuck on it that will not be damaged by the sideways pressure that someone mentioned previously.

If I need help with this one, where should I go? I'm in Cary.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Interesting, I would like to have one on my drill press. But, it probably wont fit.

Someday I may add a variable speed motor and controller.

Are all the belts in good condition and the correct size? All shafts movable? Not locked up...

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Are all the belts in good condition and the correct size? All shafts movable? Not locked up...

The belts look good, but I'm sure they need to be replaced for optimal operation. The shafts are fine, I think. These links are what have me concerned. The document I posted actually shows how to install the assembly, so it's helpful to see how things are supposed to go together. The other thought I had was that I should maybe remove the assembly since I don't do anything with metal. If I were to remove it, I assume that I just need to get a long belt to go from the motor to the spindle pulley. I'll know more when I take a look inside, possibly this weekend.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would leave it on there and use it. Small bits need higher RPM and large bits like wood boring bits need slow speed. That is a great feature and should be restored if not in good order.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
As I recall, you wrote that the DP had a family history. It's up to you to decide if that link makes it worth restoring. I have seen that DP in turn key condition without the Vari-slo sell in the $200 and under range with fair regularity. It is a good drill press with a lost of nice design elements. I've seen fixer uppers in the $100 and under depending upon condition. I do know that I have not been able to get much money when selling machines I've restored with new bearings, paint, derusting and adjusting. to most people they are old machines. For what you might put into it in the way of Blood Sweat and Tears you might be better off taking the money and buying a tool that will do what you need.

As far as using as a drum sander and router. You might get away with it for a while, but the bearing setup is not made for side loading. Also, the chuck is probably held on by friction to a tapered spindle nose. It would be dangerous for that to come loose while turning at high speed.

What you will probably have to do is pull, dismantle and readjust the entire Varislo unit. The grease in the two drive cones is probably dried out. Assuming that nothing is broken and needs replacement I would also suggest at least replacing the bearings in the quill and the motor for the same reason. the grease is probably 60 years old. The chuck may or may not need to be taken apart and cleaned.

Best source of help, as you've already found is the OWWM.org forums. Thereare plenty you rebuild threads for this machine. I have not checked there for the Varislo unit rebuild.

What you want to do is not hard and the bearings for the Quill and the Motor are probably under $ 25 delivered. I've never dealt with the Varislo but it should be doable with a few tools. I take many of my rebuilds to the the local electrical motor repair shop for removal and mounting of bearings, but a local machine shop should be able to help.

Wish I was closer. I'm just starting a 1950's C'man Cabinet saw.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hi Mike,
I'm an OWWM guy as well, and have the same press, (albeit w/o the varislo attachment) that I rebuilt a few years ago as my "daily driver". It is a great press for the capacity, (15"), and has done well for me.

As far as functionality - it really depends on what kind of work you intend to do, and whether or not you are so inclined to tackle any repairs/ adjustment yourself. OWWM is definitely a "DIY" kind of thing as there are very few shops who will do the work for you.

As far as the Varislo attachment - it would be valuable to use as a more convenient means of varying the spindle RPM's for various sizes bits, (vs through the common step pulley setup), but I would think that any supplemental tooling functions would be more of an afterthought than anything else.

If I can offer any advise on the rebuild, should you decide to go that way, feel free to shoot me a PM. If you decide to pass it along - I'd be interested in taking the Varislo attachment off of your hands.

The King Seeley era Craftsman machines were of good quality, and will be well serviceable should you decide to put it back into service.

Best of luck.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks, Mike, Mark, and Heath. You're giving me the inspiration to take a serious look at this one. It may be beyond my technical ability to rebuild it, but I'll decide that after doing some more homework, particularly with OWWM. Heath, I may hit you up if I get stuck.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Do It!. Nothing better than walking into the shop and using a machine you've put back in service. Like I said, there is a lot of help available in the OWWM and here. For inspiration, check out Heath's restore of an Craftsman-King Seely floor saw http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41931

Inspired me to hunt one down. Like I said, I just got started on mine. Can't hardly wait to get it online. Then onto my 18" bandsaw.

Please start a thread on your drill press. The first two tools I would suggest are a Camera and a Digital camera. Helps when you go back to something later on or need to diagnose something.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey, thanks Mark! I forgot you had gotten your hands on a floor saw. I've since passed mine along to my father-in-law, and have a "new" early 60's Powermatic PM65. The floor saw is a great machine, and you'll get alot of use out of it.

Mike, you'll do fine I'm sure! The good news is that drill presses are relatively simply machines w/ few parts. Keep track of what goes where and re-assemble in reverse order and you'll be fine. Good luck!

wwidmer

New User
Bill
By all means restore it and enjoy the smile you get every time you go to use it. It's an oldie & goodie - they do not make them like they used to. Good luck in the restore - great infor source at OWWM

- Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS