Another vote for Phil Thein's baffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I'm getting started on my Toys for Tots cars. That means I will be band sawing out 100 car bodies, along with sanding out saw marks and routing a round over on all edges. First I figured out how to add DC to my 14" Delta band saw. (More on that later) Next, I wanted to capture dust before it went into cyclone. As I often use my big planer and jointer on slab in front of shop, this would be handy. Rather than sending shavings to cyclone in rear of shop, and then having to haul them back out, it made sense to capture them at the source. I didn't want to lose the capacity of the metal trash can, so I built my baffle and elbows to sit on top of can. Looks kinda like a "Top Hat." I got to run a few sample cuts into a 2X4 tonight. Seems to work very well. Tomorrow, I will empty cyclone, vacuum out bin, and then start cutting out cars. This way, I can tell how much debris made it through baffle system. This baffle method would be easy to adapt to most any size container, such as a fifty five gallon barrel.

bluewing92

New User
Norm
You what they say.. Pictures please.
Sounds real cool. I've been thinking about redoing my old atempt at a trash can baffle.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
An update. Before starting on cars, I emptied and swept out bin from cyclone. I cut over 100 cars from 2 X 4's. Separator contained 9 1/2 cups of fine dust from band saw, and cyclone contained less than 2 cups of even finer dust. Emptied both, then drilled 1" holes for windows. There were no shavings in the cyclone, as separator had captured them all- Yeah!:gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for the followup Bruce - congrats on the results! So, a separator with baffle AND a cyclone - one more phase and shavings will be caught before you produce them! :rolf:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Oddly enough, I just gave mine away (well, sort of - I requested that the new owner donate $ here). But not out of disappointment, just out of limited space and infrequent use. It worked extremely well, even though the elbow was cobbled together Rube Goldberg style. It was a fiber can with a clamp on top that sealed well. I think that bigger is better if you can get a good seal, but it was just too big for my limited space.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bruce has a hand crank internet connection and asked me to put these up for him:
126.JPG

125.JPG

124.JPG

123.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
How do you connect the DC to the top hat? Do you just shove the hose down the outlet hole?
Phil, the center hole (outlet) is sized for 4" sch-20 PVC. I don't have the ability to post pictures, so if you want to import these pictures to your web site, you are welcome to do so, Bruce

CarvedTones

Andy
I was giving this more thought. I got rid of mine because it was too big and I couldn't dedicate floor space to it. But one of these can be stored on a shelf and an aluminum trash can is fine outside (under the deck behind lattice work since I live in Cary :rolleyes:). Any ideas on what the minimum height and circumference is for one of these to be useful? Could you make one inside an upside down 5 gallon bucket? That would be ideal if it works; you could cut the baffle out of the lid. Might even be weather proof enough to store outside with the can. :eusa_thin

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I was giving this more thought. I got rid of mine because it was too big and I couldn't dedicate floor space to it. But one of these can be stored on a shelf and an aluminum trash can is fine outside (under the deck behind lattice work since I live in Cary :rolleyes:). Any ideas on what the minimum height and circumference is for one of these to be useful? Could you make one inside an upside down 5 gallon bucket? That would be ideal if it works; you could cut the baffle out of the lid. Might even be weather proof enough to store outside with the can. :eusa_thin

I have to believe that it would work with a 5 gallon pail. Even though it's been used on bigger cans, they've been all shapes and sizes. I want to try it on a 6" system with one of the drumms like you had and the should work also. It just might take a little tweaking , but what doesn't. As far as keeping it outside, I'm not sure whether the shop vac has strong enough pull, but.....

CarvedTones

Andy
I have to believe that it would work with a 5 gallon pail. Even though it's been used on bigger cans, they've been all shapes and sizes. I want to try it on a 6" system with one of the drumms like you had and the should work also. It just might take a little tweaking , but what doesn't. As far as keeping it outside, I'm not sure whether the shop vac has strong enough pull, but.....

I have talent - I think I confused you on both points. :rolf:

I don't want to use it with it outside. The probelem is I rarely do anything to generate a lot of dust, so I just want to store it outside.

I was thinking of using the 5 gallon bucket upside down to make a "top hat" like Bruce's, only sized for vacuum hose instead of DC ductwork.

It is probably still overkill for me. I use the TS so little that I really need to get it more mobile (it is a benchtop, but mounted on a stand) and wait for good weather and a daytime opportunity to cut wood in bulk. My BS is another matter; I use that frequently but generally for onesy-twosy stuff.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce, asked me to post pictures of the effectiveness of the baffle. After planing some 2X stock the first picture shows a 1/2 cup of saw dust that ended up in the cyclone. The nest picture shows the gallons of dust the separator collected.

dust_in_cyclone.jpg

dust_in_separator.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS