another restoration complete: 1940's Craftsman shaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

It looks great, Jay. I would make one suggestion -- add a guard made from plywood over the belt -- should be be simple to connect it to the plywood sandwiched under the motor mount. Safety first.

Glennbear

Glenn
Really nice work Jay and I like your color choice. I wish you luck in finding the remaining pieces. :wsmile:

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Nice work! Glad to see there is another local OWWM'er around. I actually have a Craftsman/ Atlas shaper almost identical to yours making its way South right now. I have a few other machines I'd like to address first, but you've certainly set the bar high! How does it cut?

Glennbear

Glenn
It cuts pretty well. I need to touch up some of the edges on the cutters as they have a nice "patina" on them. I will probably also pick up a few new cutters from Grizzly in the near future.

Does the shaper you are getting have the pulley/belt guard? I'd like to have some closeup pictures of one with measurements if possible so I can build a wooden replacement true to the original.

Thanks,
J

Jay, you might want to check these folks out as a source for made in the USA cutters :wsmile: :
http://corobcutters.com/index.php

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job Sully :icon_thum you have a talent to see what is under all of that rust and corrosion

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
It cuts pretty well. I need to touch up some of the edges on the cutters as they have a nice "patina" on them. I will probably also pick up a few new cutters from Grizzly in the near future.

Does the shaper you are getting have the pulley/belt guard? I'd like to have some closeup pictures of one with measurements if possible so I can build a wooden replacement true to the original.

Thanks,
J

To be honest, I'm really not sure about the belt guard, but I doubt it. I had intended to make a guard out of MDF myself.

R

rickc

Doubt it is the same model as yours, but this looks pretty close, and you get a general idea of the type of guard.

http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/craftsman-shaper-model-10123810.html

Maybe a little metal working with some flashing and pop-rivets? :icon_scra The belt guard on the old machine in the above picture looks very similar to the type that resides on my roto-tiller. I wonder if you could look to old power garden tools for something that would work.

Or just build a temporary mdf box around it! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS