Another HF Gem? - Chisel Rasp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
While working on a project, it became painfully obvious that Im lacking in certain hand tools.

Rasps, namely. Ive got chisels, planes, wood files, etc.. but only one rasp. But one rasp does not do all.

So by chance I found these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96955

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]3 Piece Chisel Rasp Set[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Tools have chisel end with flat rasp, half-round rasp, and saw/file sides
  • 1/2", 3/4", and 1" wide chisels
  • Molded rubber handles
  • Forged, struck ground and heat-treated high carbon alloy steel
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]Overall dimensions: 1-3/8" D x 8-7/8" L; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Weight: 1 lb.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 96955-0VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]$9.99 [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]With my nifty 20% off single item coupy. Less than $9 out the door with tax.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Ive not used, but upon inpection, they seem to be plenty sharp and raspy. The colors appear to be "Stanley" overruns? and of decent quality. Even the side edges have raspiness. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any one have these? Or know about them? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I can't wait to use. :tool:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thanks![/FONT]

Last edited:

sediener

New User
Steve
I'd cut my finger off with those or at least slice it up pretty good. I like to hold the tip of my rasps when I'm using them for control and that might not be a good idea with those... eeeps

Hopefully that handle gives you enough control that you don't have to hold the chisel tip while shaping.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I'd cut my finger off with those or at least slice it up pretty good. I like to hold the tip of my rasps when I'm using them for control and that might not be a good idea with those... eeeps

Hopefully that handle gives you enough control that you don't have to hold the chisel tip while shaping.

Hadn't thought of that, thanks! :thumbs_up New to the use of handtools.

The design of these are such that the rasps are not very long and the handle seems stout enough to use with one hand. I will report back as soon as I get a feel for them.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My only question is how well those chisels will hold an edge. I doubt HF uses the best steel.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Hahaha ... HF is pretty funny.

Question ... Does "[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Forged, struck ground and heat-treated high carbon alloy steel" mean that they were dropped?

96955.gif

[/FONT]

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have such a chisel/ rasp set, not from HF but definitely a budget item. I never use it. The chisel part is so-so, my Craftsman "knock around" set is better. And for rasping, as Steve said you have very little control. They also clog quickly, and the chisel part makes cleaning them difficult.

I think this falls in the "beer bottle opener that's also a compass" category. Looks cool, but ends up in the corner of a shop gathering (saw)dust.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
My only question is how well those chisels will hold an edge. I doubt HF uses the best steel.
I will find out, if dont, then I will grind flat and use strictly as rasp..

Hahaha ... HF is pretty funny.

Question ... Does "[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Forged, struck ground and heat-treated high carbon alloy steel" mean that they were dropped? Dropped? Sounds like thrown/slammed....:gar-La;[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
96955.gif
[/FONT]

I have such a chisel/ rasp set, not from HF but definitely a budget item. I never use it. The chisel part is so-so, my Craftsman "knock around" set is better. And for rasping, as Steve said you have very little control. They also clog quickly, and the chisel part makes cleaning them difficult.

I think this falls in the "beer bottle opener that's also a compass" category. Looks cool, but ends up in the corner of a shop gathering (saw)dust.[/QUOTE] If unhappy with, I will re-gift to wife and say their for her Parm Cheese!:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS