Another bowl.. Christmas came a little early for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Placek

New User
Mark
Here is my latest, I usually keep the new bowls I turn for at least a month to make sure that there are no issues with movement of the wood. I was hurried a little with this one though, The owner of the Barton Hill hotel emailed me with news that one of the bowls I had on display sold for $375... wow!

This a rather large bowl measuring 20" x 20" and 4-1/2" deep, made from South American Mahogany with a Wenge accent strip running down the center and the 4 sections are held together with a Padauk strip.

I wish all of my fellow woodworkers here at NCWW have a Wonderful Christmas and a Joyous New Year!

Take care, Mark:wsmile:

Bar1.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow!!! Not sure I am more impressed with the bowl or the selling price... Merry Christmas.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Those bowls have something for everybody. Nice round bowl shape, nice flat square "wings". The flatboarders on the forum may see turning in a new light :wink_smil. Great design, great execution... very nice work Mark!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Mark, I really like your design for this bowl. Fantastic job. Congrats on the sell of your bowl. Way to kick off your holidays!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that $375 for a similar bowl as posted is a really good deal. You've got about 14 BF of Mahogany in it, at $10-12 a BF for that thickness. So there is ~ $150 in wood, not to mention the Wenge and Paduak stock and some mark-up. That leaves about $200 for labor, overhead, finish materials etc. If you charge a labor rate of $30 (which is pretty low for the talent involved) that leaves you with 6.5 hours to obtain the wood, conceive the design, turn and construct the bowl and finish it, plus delivery and marketing.

Yep, that's a bargain.

Another beautiful piece Mark, I can see why they are selling well.

Dave:)

Mark Placek

New User
Mark
With this turning technique (stacked ring lamination).
I used less than 4bf of wood for this bowl. If I remember correctly the guys at Advantage Lumber gave me the wood, it was 8/4, I cut it into 1" thick pieces then laid them flat to get the quarter sawn grain I wanted.
As you can see with this technique, the bowl has the same grain in each ring.
Oh yeah one more thing.. I had to give the hotel a 15% commission, usually it's 30% in other galleries.

Thanks for your comments about my work.. Take care, Mark

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi Mark,
That's a very nice bowl! It's really impressive what you do with square bowls. I took a look in your gallery (website) and each bowl is a work of art itself! Very creative and well done:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Congrats on the sale too! I love when a piece sells, especially retail to someone I don't know! It's easy to sell to friends and family but you have to give them a discount. I get a lot more personal satisfaction when a complete stranger pays full retail for something I made :gar-Bi You have a great deal with the hotel too! 15% is a drop in the bucket, and 30% is not a bad deal either. The galleries I've visited want 40 to 50% :tinysmile_tongue_t: Keep up the great work, I'm sure you have a lot more sales in your future :icon_thum

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS