aniversary present for SWMBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
quick project for the day. cypress without finish. The old one was falling to pieces so ..... why not surprise her with a new one.:gar-Bi

IMG_31141.JPG

paul dyar

New User
paul
Nice swing! And you built it in one day. I have never been able to build anything in one day. Mabe she will let you get new tool.
Paul

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Pard! :icon_thum Love that swamp cedar!! I especially like the way you left the arms clear of the chains. :wsmile:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow, you built that in one day!!!!! Beautiful swing. :icon_thum You obviously work a lot faster than I do. Maybe I've just slowed down in retirement. :gar-Bi

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
yous guys is slow.....:rotflm: Having built a few of these over the years greatly reduces head scratching time.:gar-Bi The arms, back supports and butt supports were stack cut and stack sanded. the rest was simply milling lumber and drilling and countersinking. With the drill pres set up I could drill 3 at a time. The only time consuming part was the half lap on the center support [for looks].:eusa_danc The "A" frame was done years ago.:icon_cheersAll the material sized t 15/16" thick:elvis: assures it will prolly be plenty strong......

sawduster

New User
Robert
dang dood ! :eek: Nicely done ! :icon_thum

Fred came over to help me move something late in the day yesterday . " Watch ya been up to today bro ? "
" Oh ,piddled around a bit, built a porch swing "
...could have easily been " cut the grass " or " washed the car " judging by the tone of voice :swoon:

Unbelievable man ....you rock ! :notworthy:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice work as usual bro. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You can really crank it out!!

Brian.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Fred !!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

(AGAIN, this week. WOW, you can knock them out. Do stop for breakfast and lunch?:gar-La;)

About 10 years ago, we bought one "like that" from the local BORG. With four girls it lasted about 14 months!:elvis: You can well imagine how well it was built and the quality of material that was used in its manufacture.:BangHead:

Yours looks like it well definitely withstand the test of time.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Fred !!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

(AGAIN, this week. WOW, you can knock them out. Do stop for breakfast and lunch?:gar-La;)

About 10 years ago, we bought one "like that" from the local BORG. With four girls it lasted about 14 months!:elvis: You can well imagine how well it was built and the quality of material that was used in its manufacture.:BangHead:

Yours looks like it well definitely withstand the test of time.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

I sometimes eat breakfast but rarely take a lunch break.:cool:If I do eat lunch it is a sandwicch in the shop. [a little fiber helps with the digestive track]:gar-Bi
I started this one around 10:00 and was hanging it up by 4:30.:eusa_danc went out there around 9:00 with the intention of building a walnut and glass coffee table.:nah: didnt need one and have no place to put it out for sale so after diggin out the walnut I put it back on the stack. then it hit me [as I sat there staring at a pile of cypress]:widea: She has been wanting a new swing all summer and she was gone for the day so I figured why not surprise her?:wsmile: The old one was pretty much falling apart anyway.:wwink: I spend a lot of time thinking through stuff before I get a round tuit. :rotflm: so the how to was already rattling around in the ol noggin. Lots of stuff rattlin around up there these days.:gar-Bi not a lot of thought was required.:gar-La; If I added the thought procces to the time spent this took all summer!:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
How much to build me one of those??? Our porch(front) needs one. Maybe then we'll get or first offer on this house i built that's been on market for 9 months!:BangHead: http://www.fmrealty.com/site/property/listing.asp?fmrealty=active&mlsID=1744730&rNum=79543
Any interest? Jack milled all cedar for porch, base and casing(poplar and ash around fireplace from property.

come on by. we'll talk. I think Jack has some more of this cypress. I can do it in a day. the hardware isn't too awful expensive but the chain might be. I used good heavy chain.......:gar-Bi

Jeff

New User
Jeff
quick project for the day. cypress without finish. The old one was falling to pieces so ..... why not surprise her with a new one.:gar-Bi

IMG_31141.JPG

Fred,

First, what is a SWMBO? :icon_scra

Next. Nice job on the new swing which was accomplished in a mere day. OMG, you're efficient! Ya gotta love unfinished cypress for the ultimate low maintenance outdoor piece. :icon_cheers

Question. Do the seat back uprights have a little curve cut into their front faces where the slats attach? Couldn't tell clearly from the pic.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred,

Next. Nice job on the new swing which was accomplished in a mere day. OMG, you're efficient! Ya gotta love unfinished cypress for the ultimate low maintenance outdoor piece. :icon_cheers

Question. Do the seat back uprights have a little curve cut into their front faces where the slats attach? Couldn't tell clearly from the pic.

the other Jeff answered the swmbo q.:gar-Bi yes the seat and back are curved. the back should have had a bit more but it isn't terribly uncomfortable. I did a stack cut on the seat supports and same with the back supports then I went to the miter saw and cut some flats on the seat fronts and top backs so the slats would be better supported.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Looks spiffy, Fred. :icon_thum

But you're killing me with your one-day projects. :BangHead: I'd end up spending a weekend on that, if I get it right the first go-round.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Fred,

We found that a 15 degree angle on the swing back sure does make them more comfortable! :notworthy:

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done Fred, as others have said your speed is amazing. Congratulations on the anniversary. :wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well I wasnt happy with the comfort issue so I took it down and made some changes. it sits much better now.:gar-Bi the back is now almost strait. I had the angle good but with the curve I used it just wasn't comfortable. side view.... It isn't quite as pretty now but in a year or two it won't matter much.:wwink:

IMG_31171.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors