American Woodyards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
So after driving by it(drooling) twice a day for over a year I finally stopped by American Woodyards on Fri. I am so glad I did. I just went by to see if there was any small pieces I could take for turning(there wasn't really:no:), but I was able to talk to their foreman for awhile and get a tour. He showed me a bunch of their stock, holy cow they have some pretty wood. Jimmy showed me around for about 20 mins, then I ran into one of the owners(Jay) ands spent another 20-30 mins chatting with him. They where both really friendly and helpful. I think I may have a new lumber source a little closer to me than the one I was using. He by the way hasn't been nearly as helpful as of late. :wsad: Anyway I just thought I would share this since I enjoyed the visit there so much.

Thank you Jay & Jimmy and American Woodyards.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
So after driving by it(drooling) twice a day for over a year I finally stopped by American Woodyards on Fri. I am so glad I did. I just went by to see if there was any small pieces I could take for turning(there wasn't really:no:), but I was able to talk to their foreman for awhile and get a tour. He showed me a bunch of their stock, holy cow they have some pretty wood. Jimmy showed me around for about 20 mins, then I ran into one of the owners(Jay) ands spent another 20-30 mins chatting with him. They where both really friendly and helpful. I think I may have a new lumber source a little closer to me than the one I was using. He by the way hasn't been nearly as helpful as of late. :wsad: Anyway I just thought I would share this since I enjoyed the visit there so much.

Thank you Jay & Jimmy and American Woodyards.

Being relatively new to area, where are they located?

Thanks,
Matt

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
They are located on Hillsborough dirctly across from the fairgrounds the little blue building. Their hrs are a little tight M-F early am until 4pm. If you want too hook up sometime I can go over with you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have spoke with Jay at length when they had a booth set up at the Southern Ideal Home Show. I got the impression from him that they had wood but dealt with it more on a wholesale/railroad car load basis. I have gone by there on several occasions and got their cull cants (the pieces on the outermost of the log). Depending on how much flair there was on the butt log, you can get some nice small stock that way, especially 2-3 thick turning blanks.

Dave:)

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
They are located on Hillsborough dirctly across from the fairgrounds the little blue building. Their hrs are a little tight M-F early am until 4pm. If you want too hook up sometime I can go over with you.

I am familiar with it. I've purchased from them before. Ambrosia Wormy Maple. Red & White Oak. They have a small shed in back,next to where they kiln dry their wood.

I have a copy of their most current price sheet if anyone wants to look.

Nice Folks as Dave mentioned.

Matt

J

jeff...

I wished I had a foreman :tinysmile_cry_t: I did buy a power ball ticket yesterday - didn't even match one number, I asked for a refund but they don't give refunds on bum tickets :icon_scra If I every run across a barrel of money, I will open up a really nice lumber yard.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I have spoke with Jay at length when they had a booth set up at the Southern Ideal Home Show. I got the impression from him that they had wood but dealt with it more on a wholesale/railroad car load basis. I have gone by there on several occasions and got their cull cants (the pieces on the outermost of the log). Depending on how much flair there was on the butt log, you can get some nice small stock that way, especially 2-3 thick turning blanks.

From what he was telling me the other day it was that way before, but he is working to change that. They are willing to sell as much or as little as you need(within reason.) They do have a fairly nice selection of wood, including a bunch of KD stock.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hey, that's good to know. I thought A. Woodyard had gotten out of the retail business.

Coincidentally, I'm in the process of prepping some 8/4 walnut I bought there a couple years ago.

-Mark

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I am familiar with it. I've purchased from them before. Ambrosia Wormy Maple. Red & White Oak. They have a small shed in back,next to where they kiln dry their wood.

I have a copy of their most current price sheet if anyone wants to look.

Nice Folks as Dave mentioned.

Matt

Can you post the price list or e-mail?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
From what he was telling me the other day it was that way before, but he is working to change that. They are willing to sell as much or as little as you need(within reason.) They do have a fairly nice selection of wood, including a bunch of KD stock.

That's good to know. It was several years ago that we spoke. I guess supply and demand has got them to change their ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS