Always wanted a Tapered Reamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Always wanted a tapered reamer to make chairs and stools.

I used a saws-all blade to make the blade. Grind the teeth off, file to a 45° angle and sharpen like a scraper.

Drew shape of the reamer in Illustrator and printed it. Glued the printout to a piece of 1/16" x 2" x 12" Brazilian Cherry and cut it out. (I have a .pdf of the drawing but can not figure out how to attach it to this post.) Traced the outline of the blade I made on one side and cut out the shape. That formed a pocket for the blade to sit in.

Glued the cherry strip between 2 pieces of hard maple 1" x 2" x12". Chucked it in the lathe and turned until I got to the cherry strip. Chisel about 1/4" relief in front of the blade for shavings to pile up. Blade just sits in the pocket cut out if the cherry. Used a 3/4" oak dowel for the handle.

After all this I found one at Lee Valley for $20, but I like mine better

Rick Doby

reamer.jpg
[/IMG]

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I like yours better too. Great job! I'm wondering why you ground the teeth off the saw blade. I have a similar one I've been using for two years with the teeth still on. I did take pains to have only about half the teeth protuding but I sharpen the back (flat side) as a scraper and it seems to work fine. Some times the teeth get caught in the hole but when it's working right, the teeth seem to help the scraper cut faster. I made one for a friend out of a used japanese saw that had seen better days and it works well too, teeth intact.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap, Rick. Was this what you and Mike wer chatting about at the shaving horse workshop?

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Steve,

I could have left the teeth on the blade. I was just playing around figured I'd get a smoother cut if I removed the teeth.

Rick Doby

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Tom,

That was one of the many things we talked about. I want to taper the holes for my shavinghorse so the legs will not wobble around so much.

Rick Doby

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nice! That's a great idea to make an imbedded template in the turning. I can see using that on some other projects.

Have you reworked the shave horse yet?

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Mike,

The embedded template work pretty good. It was a lot easier than trying to carve out a pocket for the blade.

Rick Doby

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Mike,

Haven't had time to rework my shavinghorse yet. Just finished my reamer last night and have to actually work today.

Rick Doby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS