aluminum pen - how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
anyone ever made a solid aluminum pen on a wood lathe?

A friend wants me to make him one.

Thanks

Michael

PChristy

New User
Phillip
anyone ever made a solid aluminum pen on a wood lathe?

A friend wants me to make him one.

Thanks

Michael

Mike I have never made one but my guess is that you would need carbide tooling to get the aluminum to cut smooth - If you can get 5/8-3/4 - I am sure someone on the site can give you more info

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Brass and copper turn well with wood tools. Myself and others use them for ferrules on turning tools and chisels.
As a matter of fact, several of my pen bushings will attest that aluminum turns well also!
Brass and copper do require frequent sharpening, and I cringe some when turning soft metals so I use the HF tools.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd think a good sharp Oland tool would do it since it uses an HSS insert. It would still need to be sharp unless you wanted to do a lot of polishing. If it were me I'd rather use a metal lathe for roughing to get better control.

jimwill48

James
You mean kind of like this:

img_0191a.jpg

:dontknow:I cheated and used my metal lathe! I did one with a wood lathe but had to grind my own turning tool in a graver style to really make it work and it was just not worth the trouble. Believe me its not like turning wood. For a Slimline style its very simple on the metal lathe.....

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS