Alcohol Drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Just turned a small bowl out of holly. I tried the alcohol method of drying. I rough turned the blank out of fresh cut holly 5 weeks ago today. After 3 weeks in my workshop the moisture was about 16%. I brought the piece into the house to finish drying. Last night the moisture content was 6% according to my moisture meter. There was a little warping around the knot but I able to work that out.

The bowl is 2 1/2" tall and 4" wide. The walls of the rough blank were about 1/2" thick, I turned them down to about 3/16" on the finished piece. Since this was an experiment I did not spend a lot of time finishing it, just a CA finish with a coat of wax.

I was impressed with how fast the piece dried. I have a larger piece with 3/4" walls that should be ready in a couple of weeks. It was down to 16% MC in 4 weeks.

Rick Doby

Attachments

• DSCN0043.JPG
    DSCN0043.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 157

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, I really like the form on that piece :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Holly is a fun turning wood, if it wasn't for that branch knot you would guess that is was old porcelain.
Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Nice work Rick. I also like the final shape of your bowl. How was it putting a CA finish on a bid piece?

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Thanks Nick,

The CA finish was not hard. I had to do it in sections. The inside first, then the top half of the outside. Flipped the piece in the chuck and finished the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS