Alan & Milissa: working with wood again / new ventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Alan, if you and Melissa would be interested, I'd like to invite you to come and demonstrate at the Western Piedmont Woodcrafters Annual Picnic, the 4th Saturday in August, location yet to be announced, but somewhere in the Hickory area. There is remuneration for demonstrating, but I'm not sure how much. We always invite wives and women who aren't woodwoorkers. Watching both of you working together, I know it would be very interesting.
Bruce
Hi Bruce,
We accept with pleasure. Just update us nearer the time please. BTW we are demoing at the Horne Farm corn shucking festival on the 17 Oct at Pinnacle
NC

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Hi Bruce,
We accept with pleasure. Just update us nearer the time please. BTW we are demoing at the Horne Farm corn shucking festival on the 17 Oct at Pinnacle
NC

wonderful Alan!
Whatever you guys decide to do, I know will be terrific. The picnic is our best attended event of the year, with many women present. I believe the women would be greatly interested in seeing Melissa spin wool, and the men would be greatly interested in your wheel turning demo. But, whatever you would enjoy doing will be very interesting, I'm sure. We as yet have to pick the location, but I'll keep you up to speed. Thank you very much.
Bruce :eusa_danc

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Well, see above,
"I believe the women would be greatly interested in seeing Melissa spin wool, and the men would be greatly interested in your wheel turning demo"
The only point I would bring up is that I haven't built a full size pole lathe yet. I like the spring lathe which is in another thread , but my specs would include a very simple (dedicated to) spindle turning pole lathe with a simple full length tool rest and poppets held with tapered pegs. I know I can look in Diderot for full drawings of 18th c French lathes but my lathe needs to incorporate the following,
Made out of constructional (= cheap 4x2) timber. easily disassembled for transport, (bearing in mind it will have to share the car with at least a great wheel and probably a CPW and a saxony wheel etc.) So it needs to come apart to lengths of timber and be easily re-assembled too.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil's design for the lathe stands uses construction grade lumber and breaks down. You might get some ideas from its design. Bill was kind enough to produce a sketchup drawing of it here:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=408

Not sure how authentic you want to stay with this, so the Woodpecker Knobs with Bolts and Nuts might not be appropriate. Maybe replace them with pegged through tenons or something. And I doubt this would need as much room for adjustment as the lathe stands do. But you might get some ideas from the stands design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS