Alan & Milissa: working with wood again / new ventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Hi, folks,

After a year of same old, same old, we have taken on a new venture and are restoring / repairing / replicating spinning wheels & looms.

This means we are doing interesting stuff again...it was a long year of chess repairs and tin whistles. :(

Right now our main info feed is here, BOBBIN BOY, if it interests you to take a look.

Cheers!

Alan

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Great to hear about the new adventure Alan. You and Mellissa are always a ray of sunshine at all our events. Good luck and fair sailing on your exciting new venture.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
I have never in all my life been called a ray of sunshine! Thanks! That makes my day. :)

We are seeking to expand our regional presence through demos and education sessions, and so if any living history / woodworking / etc opportunities come up, please let us know. We are not really connected in those circles yet, and so there are lots of events that we simply never hear of that we would happily have participated in.

Alan

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hi, folks,

After a year of same old, same old, we have taken on a new venture and are restoring / repairing / replicating spinning wheels & looms.

This means we are doing interesting stuff again...it was a long year of chess repairs and tin whistles. :(

Right now our main info feed is here, BOBBIN BOY, if it interests you to take a look.

Cheers!

Alan
Interesting timing... Last weekend my wife went to some kind of festival here in Creal Springs, IL. And there was a live demo of one of those foot powered spinny things your speaking of. The person giving the demo had a old one that needed slight repair according yo the wife. She was excited about going back and buying it until she asked if I could make it whole again. I responded I know nothing about those things, she then proceeded to tell me its just wood and how I can do anything with wood. I laughed and that was the end of that conversation...

So what is the spinny thing anyways? What's it supposed to do and how does it work?

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, A spinning wheel is used to turn wool into yarn.
Yeah that's exactly what the wife said... But how does it work? She could not tell me that vital piece of info...

So wool... I was thinking yes a few lambs would be good... They are delicious... You know us old guys think with our stomach :)

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Jeff,

Does your wife want to spin or learn to spin?

Milissa helps lots and lots of beginning spinners. And I can fix spinning wheels. :)

We have some restored ones here, in fact, that need new homes. And so it begins...we went from 1 spinning wheel to 16 with shocking rapidity.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

Does your wife want to spin or learn to spin?

Milissa helps lots and lots of beginning spinners. And I can fix spinning wheels. :)

We have some restored ones here, in fact, that need new homes. And so it begins...we went from 1 spinning wheel to 16 with shocking rapidity.
I think the wife knows how to spin already, but I'm not sure... Can you please point me to where you have the machines for sale?

BTW I have an hidden agenda with the wife - she gets the machine, I get some lambs - she shaves the lambs / i get the meat - win/win as I see it :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, so you know you can get a fleece every year for several years. You don't have to eat the lamb to get the wool.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
I think the wife knows how to spin already, but I'm not sure... Can you please point me to where you have the machines for sale?

BTW I have an hidden agenda with the wife - she gets the machine, I get some lambs - she shaves the lambs / i get the meat - win/win as I see it :)

I'll get M. to take some pictures. She has a Saxony style flax/wool wheel, I know. Antique, from the historic district of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They aren't very expensive.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
100_11141.JPG

I have made five of these flax wheels over the years. Last one about six years ago. There are more details in my gallery under Flax Wheel.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Alan, if you and Melissa would be interested, I'd like to invite you to come and demonstrate at the Western Piedmont Woodcrafters Annual Picnic, the 4th Saturday in August, location yet to be announced, but somewhere in the Hickory area. There is remuneration for demonstrating, but I'm not sure how much. We always invite wives and women who aren't woodwoorkers. Watching both of you working together, I know it would be very interesting.
Bruce

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The mechanics of spinning wheels are pretty interesting. My daughter is after me to build her an 18" vertical 2 treadle wheel, but my lathe is too small to mount and true up one of those.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, what a diverse lot of information is available on this site. The diversity never ceases to amaze me. Thank you Alan and Melissa for sharing and who knew Charlie was into this as well.

I'm astounded. History in the making.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
100_11141.JPG

I have made five of these flax wheels over the years. Last one about six years ago. There are more details in my gallery under Flax Wheel.
And that's why you are Sir Charlie

Jeff

New User
Jeff
So what is the spinny thing anyways? What's it supposed to do and how does it work?

I'll get M. to take some pictures. She has a Saxony style flax/wool wheel, I know.

What an interesting and diverse topic that's caught my attention. Here's part of the "spin" on spinning.

Components of a spinning wheel.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04/parts-of-a-spinning-wheel/

...and how they work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleG5oifdRo

Found a tidbit that's interesting too. Lamb vs Mutton.

1. Lambs are slaughtered for their meat usually at < 1 year old. A mild taste.

2. Sheep produce less wool after several years and they're then slaughtered for mutton. A stronger taste.

http://woodstocksanctuary.org/learn-3/factory-farmed-animals/sheep/

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Sure Bruce,
Do you want my (Alan's) wood turning demo to be wheel spindle specific? As Milissa is on a 'great wheel' mission and will demo spininng on one of these if thit is appropriate. I ask because we demoed drop spindle spinning at Klingspore recently with me making drop spindles to give away and we got a very positive response from the visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS