air hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have one of those flex air hose's that you can move around and it will stay where you put it and it has come off of the connector on the machine - I have tried to put it back on with no luck - where I use to work we had the same thing and they had a tool that would snap it back onto the connector - does anyone know where I can get this tool or know of away to get this back onto the connector with out that tool

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Phillip, what I've done in the past is to cut a couple of inches off of the end of the hose, and heat the hose slighly with a heat gun (or hair dryer); just enough to make it a little soft, and then push the barbed fitting back into it. After that, cool it quickly with cold water.

You have to be careful not to overheat the plastic, else it will accordian on you when you try to push it onto the fitting.

In addition to this, sometimes I will cut a piece of copper tubing that has an ID that is slightly larger than the OD on the plastic hose, and slip it on the hose, and then up over the fitting after you slide the hose in place. When I do this, I will skip the cooling step, as I want the plastic tubing to still be warm when I crimp the copper tubing. I'll use a set of coaxial cable crimpers to crimp the copper, or find a piece of steel pipe that has an id approximately the same as my desired OD on the crimped copper, split the steel pipe in two and then use it as a swage in a vise to compress the copper.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A copper flaring tool works most of the time for me in crimping connectors like that. You may need to use the next size down, but the flaring vise does a good job on crimping.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks guys, I guess I didn't describe the hose good enough - It is one of those hoses that reminds me of a back bone where one connector fits into the other one - it is not off of this machine but another one - see the pipe towards the front just under the light - that is the kind I am talking about - I can't get it back on to the machine -

Dewalt2.jpg

View image in gallery

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
so did the hose links come apart or did the whole hose assembly come off the machine?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
so did the hose links come apart or did the whole hose assembly come off the machine?

It didn't come off of the Dewalt - It came off of my Dremel - The whole thing came off and I can't get it pushed back on - Where I use to work they had a tool to get these back on but I have not seen any anywhere else

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ok, that is articulated air hose also known as ball joint air hose. I use a section of the large 2" diameter stuff for dust pickup at my benchtop mortiser.

Use a little lubricant, then firmly push and twist it until it snaps into place. It should snap right on. Look at the male and female parts first to make sure they are not warped or buggered. Another method is to heat the female part in boiling water or VERY carefully using a heat gun, then snap it on the male section.

You can get a new 14" long piece from Seyco that is supposed to fit most scroll saws (for $14.95.)

ADBWEB.JPG
33954-md.jpg

jhreed

New User
james
now you are a mechanical engineer. you continue to impress me. I would like to meet you and see your shop sometime. My bol & wife live at Moss Landing in Washington. We go to see them fairly often. Would like to combine a short visit with you sometime.
James H. Reed
Goldsboro

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
now you are a mechanical engineer. you continue to impress me. I would like to meet you and see your shop sometime. My bol & wife live at Moss Landing in Washington. We go to see them fairly often. Would like to combine a short visit with you sometime.
James H. Reed
Goldsboro

Any time. Just fire me an email or call first- being retired I have no set schedule and we often go places on the spur of the moment. Once the HVAC guy is done (hurry, hurry) we are off to Wilmington to pick up a new (old) spindle sander.

Alan

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ok, that is articulated air hose also known as ball joint air hose. I use a section of the large 2" diameter stuff for dust pickup at my benchtop mortiser.

Use a little lubricant, then firmly push and twist it until it snaps into place. It should snap right on. Look at the male and female parts first to make sure they are not warped or buggered. Another method is to heat the female part in boiling water or VERY carefully using a heat gun, then snap it on the male section.

You can get a new 14" long piece from Seyco that is supposed to fit most scroll saws (for $14.95.)

ADBWEB.JPG
33954-md.jpg

Thanks Alan:icon_thum

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Line Loc is another brand (use-enco.com) Last issue of either Woodsmith, or ShopNotes showed a "cool" foot control using a blow off tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS