Air Filtration that Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I really don’t post gloats too often, but I had to tell ya ‘bout this find on Raleigh CL.

About 4 years ago, during my last year of gainful employment, I had a lung collapse three times on me! :eek::eek::eek: I gave up the smokes, retired and have had no lung problems since! My LOML (being a nurse) told me about 6 months ago, that I really should do something about the airborne dust in my shop! :tinysmile_cry_t::tinysmile_cry_t:

Well, here it is. I landed a so-so deal on an older (like me) JDS Air-Tech 2000 750 and managed to hoist it up into place today and its cookin’ air!!! :icon_chee Nothing fancy – no remote or timer, but hey, it filters the dust (when I make it) and now LOML is happy, so papa’s happy!!!:cool:

These things really do seem to do a good job!!! (Accept this week; I have a NC July head cold that even this apparatus can’t fix. :nah:Oh well……………)

‘til next time!!!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wayne, congratulations! That thing rocks. But, I'm bitterly disappointed you didn't ask for some installation help. I mean, I let you help with _my_ air cleaner.

:gar-Bi

Oh, and I'd write to the manufacturer, see if they have a spare remote for you. You never know.

That's on my list too. After 40 years of breathing wood dust (and smoking) I think I should do it. Easier than quitting these dang cigs. At least that's one of two. The really funny thing is I work in industrial filtration.

Glad you like it, I'll put it on my list of things to watch for.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wayne, you will notice a big difference. Let the unit run atleast an hour after you finish work in the shop.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Congrats Wayne. It will certainly be a big help.. I installed a home built one three years ago and don't cough in the shop now.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good idea about the run on, Scott. I think I'll put my dust filter on at attic fan timer when I install it.:icon_thum

Travis

New User
Travis
I have a Delta model. Does anyone else think these things heat the shop up or is it just my imagination.

cptully

New User
Chris
Wayne,

I'm glad to see that you are working to keep the air clean. I recently obtained a 220v squirrel cage blower that I intend to building in to the ceiling of my shop with multiple inlets and HEPA filter as I finish my shop...

Chris

Rob

New User
Rob
This is on my "to buy" list, along with a dozen or 30 other things. I do have a large squirrel cage and motor I've thought about using, but the box would be huge, it's out of a 3 ton air handler.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here is some info that may be helpful to you regarding air cleaners and how to size and mount them.

The two most important criteria for an air cleaner are the CFM and the filters. You want a CFM factor that will clean the size of your shop and a filter that removes the particle size that you are concerned about.

To determine the size or required air flow, use this formula: Volume of your shop (Length x width x Height) times Number of air changes per hour (typically 6 - 8) divided by 60. This will give you an answer in Cubic Feet per Minute which is how air cleaners are measured. MOST AIR CLEANER MANUFACTURERS RATE THE CFM OF THE FAN ONLY, but there are losses due to the filters. If you are building your own or if the air cleaner you are purchasing rates only the fan, figure you will lose about 25 - 40% for filtering losses.

As important as the air cleaner size is how and where you mount it. Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6'or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling). Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall.

The exhaust is the largest determiner of the circulation pattern. You are trying to encourage circulation parallel to the floor/ceiling so ceiling mounting is not recommended. Use a smoke stick (or a cigar) to observe and maximize circulation. Use a secondary fan to direct air to the intake if necessary. Also, consider that a standard 24" floor fan moves a lot of air and, in some shops, just positioning it in a doorway with a window or other door open can accomplish as much or more than an air cleaner. It's all in the circulation patterns.

The exhaust is the clean air so that is where you want to position yourself. Do not place the air cleaner over the a dust producer. That will guarantee that the operator will be in direct line between the dust producer and the air cleaner. The operator wants to be in the clean air stream. If the dust has to pass your nose to get to the air cleaner, you get no benefits. If you have an odd shaped shop, two smaller units may be better than one large one.

DO NOT RELY ON A AIR CLEANER TO ACT AS A DUST COLLECTOR. The purpose of and air cleaner is to keep airborne dust in suspension and reduce airborne dust as quickly as possible AFTER THE DUST PRODUCER HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.

Finally, if you are looking for health benefits, you will not find any air cleaner manufacturer that makes health claims because there are few health benefits. CATCHING DUST AT IT'S SOURCE IS THE BEST LONG TERM GOAL. Rick Peters', author of "Controlling Dust in the Workshop", makes the point that spending your money getting the dust at its source is a better investment than trying to capture it after it is already airborne. If the dust is in the air, it's going to be in your nose and lungs too. Robert Witter of Oneida Air Systems has noted that "overhead cleaners can only lower ambient dust levels AFTER THE SOURCE OF EMISSIONS IS SHUT DOWN, and they take several hours to do this. This is why they are not used in industry." The absolute best answer, if health is the primary concern, is to use a NIOSH approved respirator. The dust cleaner will help keep your shop cleaner but have minimal or no health benefits. OSHA takes this position too. They measure the number of particles per a volume and most air cleaners will not satisfy their specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS