Air cleaner build

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
This is an air cleaner I built from plans I found on You Tube a few weeks ago. I volunteer in a shop that makes furniture for special needs children out of cardboard at no cost to the families. Cardboard works great but tends to make a dust that's finer and lighter than sawdust, so it gets to floating around more. I chose this one as it was checked by the original builder at 2500 cfm, pretty good for a shop made cleaner.

I had to modify the plans as it wasn't working the way I wanted it to. He had designed it to suck air through the filters but blew a lot of existing dust around that was in his shop which was what I wanted to mitigate. It worked out to about $250 complete, fan, filters, 1/4 sheet of plywood and 1 2x8. It works quite well for our needs. I can post the .pdf and .skp plans if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 1EF4A87D-EC87-4BC6-B687-E246BBF9634C.jpg
    1EF4A87D-EC87-4BC6-B687-E246BBF9634C.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90

davesc2

New User
Dave
Was thinking about doing a portable air cleaner like this. If you could post the plans or message them to me, either way would be appreciated.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member

Attachments

• Air Cleaner View 1.pdf
    406.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Air Cleaner View 2.pdf
    316.5 KB · Views: 74

TBoomz

New User
Ron
What sort of filter material did you use? Something from HD.Lowes, or something more specialized... Been thinking a making a small unit to place on my worktable when I'm hand sanding.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I used an old furnace fan, in a box with two MRV 15 filters. Works great. Get your filters online from places like filters.com ,. discount, etc. as they are an order of magnitude cheaper than the BORG. Many HVAC suppliers will offer an old fan to a good cause.

My split system also sits in a box with MERV 15 filters in front of it's intake. They don't load up as much after I upgraded from a JET to the Clearview DC.

I thought about wiring up the motor for three speeds as it can, but just did it on high. I put a timer on it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS