Air Cleaner Amperage Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
I finished the wiring rough-in for the lights in the new shop. Part of it was to wire a box in a gable end for an eventual air cleaner over the doors. I put it on a 15A circuit that it will share with an exterior light but was wondering if I should rewire it to a 20A circuit.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can you find out the wattage of the air cleaner? There are lots of different sizes.

If you don't have one yet, it is pretty easy to switch out a breaker for a larger one.

crokett

New User
David
I don't even have an air cleaner yet. :gar-La; Just trying to plan now for what I will eventually need. I figure the first one will be a box fan with an A/C filter on it. However, it sounds like it would be a good idea to rewire with 12/2 so I will do that.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My JDS 750-ER air cleaner only has a 1/4HP motor - that's 200W or so. Certainly no problem for a 15A circuit. But, a 20A circuit is definitely more versatile, so I can't see anything wrong with that.

M

McRabbet

I don't even have an air cleaner yet. :gar-La; Just trying to plan now for what I will eventually need. I figure the first one will be a box fan with an A/C filter on it. However, it sounds like it would be a good idea to rewire with 12/2 so I will do that.
You might even consider putting in 12/3 so you could put in additional lights and 3-way switches for controlling them. If the Air Cleaner is on the primary home run for the black/white pair, then it could be set up with a remote switch as well. Just a thought while you are going to the trouble of rewiring...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors