After market Riving Knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
This week I had the pleasure to work in a "real" shop.(I still love my little shop) I was using an Altendorf 16'' sliding table saw (sounds like a jet engine upon start up) I was, to say the least, a bit intimidated by this monster. It did, however, have a riving knife installed, and after using it for a few days I think this should be a mandatory piece of safety equipment. It really took the intimidation factor of kick back and binding out of my mind.
Does anyone know of an after market riving knife that would fit a Jet cabinet saw. Any input is appreciated!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, I don't think that they are available...yet. I agree that they should and will become standard equipment on all TS very soon. But due to the nature and what makes a riving knife most useful, staying just below the blade top to allow non-through cuts, and tilting with the blade, almost mandates that they need to be part of the saw originally. I have seen folks that have cobbled together their own riving knife assemblies, but none that can be purchased for "plug and play"

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've seen some "at home" creations to do this, but I'm not aware of any aftermarket items.

In the meantime though, you should be able to use those little green plastic things that I included with that tablesaw back-when. I forget what they are called, but they work decent and perform a similar function.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've seen some "at home" creations to do this, but I'm not aware of any aftermarket items.
Search for a Bolt On Riving Knife (BORK). Someone has made a gizmo that fits both the Grizzly 1023 and Sears Zipcode saw. Perhaps there is also one for the JET?

In the meantime though, you should be able to use those little green plastic things that I included with that tablesaw back-when. I forget what they are called, but they work decent and perform a similar function.
You mean the MJ (MicroJig) spitter? Those do work very well indeed (I use mine religously), but only for straight cuts.

dtomasch

New User
David
Thanks all...
Jeremy, I found that the "little Green Things" didn't work well for me. The small mounting pins just don't hold well. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I really like the RK more for kick-back protection by virtually eliminating the chance for a small cut off to catch the backside of the blade. I have lost enough blood for one lifetime from a board at 100mph :eusa_doh:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks all...
Jeremy, I found that the "little Green Things" didn't work well for me. The small mounting pins just don't hold well. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I've had the MJ splitter come out exactly once. I was ripping some rather wet SYP, and the kerf closed up. A riving knife wouldn't have helped.

The trick is to be very accurate when drilling the holes for the splitter. The kit I got included a jig and drill bit. It's important to drill at 90 degrees, and keep the drill steady when you retract. That way, the holes are spot on. I've been using a bunch of ZCIs made out of MDF for a year now and the splitter remains snug. But, maybe I've just been lucky. MJ also has a steel version of the splitter.

You may also want to look into the Shark Guard/ splitter. It's not a riving knife, but it's better than what comes standard with the saw and easy to install/ remove.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
An add-on RK is definitely possible and is on my very long "to do" list. At GeorgeL's post there is a link to one guys version- the BORK- bolt on riving knife. I looked at a bunch of his posts and pics and though he is actually selling (trying to sell?) them, I personally don't think his design is quite ready for primetime. That is all I will say after the trouble I got into over the baffle. :dontknow:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can cut curves on a table saw? I'll have to see that...

Sure, some of the wood I have bought has curved as soon as I have cut it.:icon_thum

Dave, I agree, a riving knife is a SWEET thing. I would never have believed the difference between it and a splitter.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You can cut curves on a table saw? I'll have to see that...
Anytime Steve. Come on over! Now, hold this... :rolf:

(Yeah, yeah, I meant angled cuts. See why I don't do turnin'!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS