Advice needed on countersinks

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have had several countersinks. All seem to be garbage. Last set was ground round so there was no cutting edge! Way to go China.
I was looking at the ones with a cone and hole as they are susposed to not chatter or make a triangular hole. Brands and sources welcome.

I actually should have both 82 and 90 degree due to the amount of metal work I do and actually, most countersinks in wood I do are for machine bolts, not woodscrews.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Keeping my eye on this thread, since I'm interested, too.
I bought some, a few years ago, and pure trash.

Like Scott said, chatter, and other nonsense.

reedlabs

New User
Reed
I personally LOVE my Amana countersink with depth stop. I've been using it for 2 years and it's still going strong. Zero issues. Works like it's supposed to.
Pricy at 50 bucks but well worth it IMO.

Attachments

• Amana-countersink-with-adj-depth-stop-and-non-thrust-bearing.jpg
    Amana-countersink-with-adj-depth-stop-and-non-thrust-bearing.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 71

Echd

C
User
I personally LOVE my Amana countersink with depth stop. I've been using it for 2 years and it's still going strong. Zero issues. Works like it's supposed to.
Pricy at 50 bucks but well worth it IMO.

I use this and have been happy with it. Definitely money well spent.

I do manage to snap bits fairly often but that's due to my own stupidity.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There are two brands of countersinks: Weldon and Not Weldon.
I've been using the Weldon 98820-94-W for decades and it can't be beat. Cuts a nice counter sink when I do my part. Others I've tried are also-rans at best. The look-alikes from cheapie sources aren't worth the time to take out of the packages.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
KEO Cutters zero flute countersinks, excellent in wood and soft metal, absolutely zero chatter.

Trying one of this style, but cobalt steel as I may need to do stainless. I do metal and wood, so the wood screw thingies are not what I need right now. Well, I do need batter ones as mine are garbage, but I just need a reliable countersink for now.

Guess Drills and cutters is the Weldon source. Been meaning to get some both aircraft length and stub length bits. I should get a spotting bit while I am at it. Been using their dies and man what a difference from my old Hansen set.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
For precision work, I use my milling machine countersinks. TBH, I really don't know the brand since they are 50 years old

However, as a general statement, the Fluted counter sinks work great in a drill press, but in the hand drill, they do not cut circular but rather hex-ish segmented countersinks. I found this to be true in metal to a lesser degree. Likely because you can get better hold down pressure in the drill press. In the hand drill the Zero flutes work pretty good, but can load up.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The best ones I've ever used are the carbide countersinks I got from Woodcraft. If you are countersinking for plugs, these are great.

For standard use, I don't feel the need for an expensive set. I do prefer tapered bits, tho. DeWalts are fine. I also have Fullers and Snappy's. They are both 4 flute and I can't see a difference.

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 10-06-31 WoodRiver - Carbide-Tipped Countersinks with Brad Point Dril...png

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Again, I need both metal and wood, so all the nifty wood only tools are not relevant. About half the time it is hand held hence my issues with 3-4-5 flute cutters and my real problem, the ones I bought are total junk as they were ground round without a back relief angle and dull as can be before they had their fancy gold coating, not worn out. I did some honing with a diamond file and made them better, but junk is junk.

I have had some issues in the drill press because my Delta is a piece of junk and I can't adjust the quill play like the older machines with a split head. Going to split point drills helped. Makes me wonder, why do they still make chisel point drills? Cheap?

The Wood River set does look attractive to replace my old ones for wood. The set Pop-Pop posted is what I think I want, if the single I ordered works.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Scott, are you sure those work in metal? I don't think so. At least I would never try it with the ones I have. I think the fluted type are for metal.

I think there are deburring bits for metal that look similar, but they don't countersink. I could be wrong, you should check it out.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott (@tvrgeek) have a look at this:
Mr. Pete makes some good points about countersinks in the video...

Yes, a Keo Countersink (ZErO Flute) style is made for metal and wood. Disclaimer: I have never found a countersink that did well with a hand drill - except for this one: :cool: (yea yea yea, doesn't help you in metal) LOL
snail.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS