adjustable hand sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I am going to be making some templates for the table just featured in Fine Woodworking. I need a relative long hand sander I can use to smooth out the curves in the templates. I remember on some site I visited awhile back, a plan for a sander that would adjust to the curves and then you could lock the curve in. I need something to take the place of a spokeshave, as I am a knucklehead when it comes to planes. Or I could must buy one from some supplier that has this item.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would an adjustable compass plane work?

Sorry I'm not familiar with the project in question as I do not read any magazines.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CompassPlane.jpg
    CompassPlane.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 204

joec

joe
User
Would an adjustable compass plane work?

Sorry I'm not familiar with the project in question as I do not read any magazines.

attachment.php

It would work if I was better at sharpening and could make it work. I need a sander that will do what your plane will do. Work on smoothing our curves

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I like using the sanddevil.

I am currently building something with curved legs and using the sand devil with 40 grit belts to further shape them after removing the waste with a bandsaw.

attachment.php

Attachments

• milescraft-power-sander-accessories-16050003-64_1000.jpg
    milescraft-power-sander-accessories-16050003-64_1000.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 202

joec

joe
User
I found the site that showed how to make it. It was on the Wood Whisperer site and he had a segment showing how to make 4"x11" sanders that would flex into a concave curve.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I remember on some site I visited awhile back, a plan for a sander that would adjust to the curves and then you could lock the curve in.

I found the site that showed how to make it. It was on the Wood Whisperer site and he had a segment showing how to make 4"x11" sanders that would flex into a concave curve.

The Wood Whisperer flexible sander is made from 1/8" ply (1/4" is too stiff) for concave curves but the only lock on the curve holding it in place is your hand pressure.

I am going to be making some templates for the table just featured in Fine Woodworking.

Timothy Coleman; FWW #266, February 2018, p 32? If so, there's hardly a straight piece in it and you've got both concave and convex surfaces to sand. MDF templates are pretty forgiving and they sand pretty easily to a "faired" curve.

joec

joe
User
The Wood Whisperer flexible sander is made from 1/8" ply (1/4" is too stiff) for concave curves but the only lock on the curve holding it in place is your hand pressure.

Timothy Coleman; FWW #266, February 2018, p 32? If so, there's hardly a straight piece in it and you've got both concave and convex surfaces to sand. MDF templates are pretty forgiving and they sand pretty easily to a "faired" curve.

The table is in the most recent FWW. It does have both concave and convex surfaces to sand. I just finished my Maloof style rocker and under the lights, I see the headrest has gentle rises along the surface. My oscillating spindle sander cannot get a "faired" surface and I needed to make this hand sander for that project as well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I just finished my Maloof style rocker and under the lights, I see the headrest has gentle rises along the surface. My oscillating spindle sander cannot get a "faired" surface and I needed to make this hand sander for that project as well.

I know that we strive for perfection, but OMG sometimes we go too far and who's going to notice a few subtle imperfections other than you "under the lights"? I'm not sure that a radius plane or the concave sanding block will get you to perfection either. BTW, do the convex surfaces look like an uneven mountain range "under the lights"?

Just my thought so carry on as you wish.

joec

joe
User
I know that we strive for perfection, but OMG sometimes we go too far and who's going to notice a few subtle imperfections other than you "under the lights"? I'm not sure that a radius plane or the concave sanding block will get you to perfection either. BTW, do the convex surfaces look like an uneven mountain range "under the lights"?

Just my thought so carry on as you wish.

No mountain range in my headrest and I am happy with the rocker. I am not into production and if I can improve my methods, then that is part of the hobby.
The biggest thing I want perfected, is the templates, as if they are perfect, then the resulting table legs will not have the imperfections in them post
router and pattern bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors