AC Condensate Drain

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
In my basement, the drain from the air handler goes through the floor to empty under the concrete slab. Recently, it has started to drain slowly. So I ended up with a cup of water on the basement floor a few times. The drain pan in the air handler has gotten its yearly "two pills" treatment a month ago. I have seen the condensate backed up in the pipe that goes down through the slab, so I know this is the bottleneck. I have tried poking and prodding down through the pipe through the slab, but no luck.
I have bought a condensate pump, and have it plumbed in temp, going into a 5-gallon bucket. Around 1/2 to 1 gallon of condensate are produced each day, so far.

I cannot find a clear answer to this: Should I direct the condensate outside through the basement wall, or plumb it out through a shower drain (between the shower drain and the trap)? I use a septic tank, not a municipal sewer system.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
My setup is different from your but I had an issue where the condensate line was backing up and an HVAC tech came out and he actually used a shop vac at the end of the line to suck out the clog, is that an option in your situation?

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I installed a tee, then press fit a cap on it for normal use. I use a compressor to blow it out from the inside. Make sure you have a real tight seal when you trigger the air to stop blowback...it's never happened to me, read about it on the internet...lol. I need to install a stop valve to close where it goes into the air handler to help when I need to blow it out.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My setup is different from your but I had an issue where the condensate line was backing up and an HVAC tech came out and he actually used a shop vac at the end of the line to suck out the clog, is that an option in your situation?
I did the suck it out with a shop vac, which had worked in previous instances over 20 years. This time, it didn't help.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I installed a tee, then press fit a cap on it for normal use. I use a compressor to blow it out from the inside. Make sure you have a real tight seal when you trigger the air to stop blowback...it's never happened to me, read about it on the internet...lol. I need to install a stop valve to close where it goes into the air handler to help when I need to blow it out.
The drain is fitted with a T, and the AC guys did the blow out when they did my Spring service last month. The T enabled me to see the water backing up in the "thru the slab" pipe.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Without knowing where the line goes once it is under the slab blowing it out is your best option.
They make blast guns for that or you can try an air hose but the blast gun on the way to go.
As far as plumbing it into the shower if the shower backs up it will drain into ac pan. Not good.

I'd pump it outside if you can't clear it with air.

Another, much messier, option is to try a water hose with a pressure nozzle thay way once clog is clear the water will flush it out.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Without knowing where the line goes once it is under the slab blowing it out is your best option.
They make blast guns for that or you can try an air hose but the blast gun on the way to go.
As far as plumbing it into the shower if the shower backs up it will drain into ac pan. Not good.

I'd pump it outside if you can't clear it with air.

Another, much messier, option is to try a water hose with a pressure nozzle thay way once clog is clear the water will flush it out.
I will look into a blast gun.

The 3/8" hose from the condensate pump will go into a barb, which goes into a 3/4" coupler, which feeds into a 2" 45-degree wye. The shower drain opening is about 12" above the wye.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have a service agreement, they have something they put in the drain lines to address that. Do it twice a year. Not sure what they use, it looks like something hanging on a string.

Found this on Amazon, may help you?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have a service agreement, they have something they put in the drain lines to address that. Do it twice a year. Not sure what they use, it looks like something hanging on a string.

Found this on Amazon, may help you?

I think that is what the AC guy puts in the drain pan. I would think some of that is in the water which flows down the drain. I have purchased a bottle of those tablets, for use with the condensate pump as well.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
There are copper sulfate pills (actually long capsule shaped) that can be placed in the condensate drain pan, and for me they last several years before needing replacing. I get them through Amazon.

Copper sulfate is a great algaecide that already exists in the Earth, so not harmful to the environment or people. How effective it is can be seen when looking at a roof with copper flashing. You won't see any algae growing below the flashing, since rain water flowing over the flashing carries sulfate with it onto the shingles below. It doesn't react with aluminum drain pans either.

Charley

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Just make sure there is a trap between condensate line and shower drain to keep sewer gas out of house
Our condensate drains are not connected to the sewer. They just go out the wall and drip into the dirt.

At my last house the line blocked, they used a CO2 cartridge with a tool, which blew it open right away.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Our condensate drains are not connected to the sewer. They just go out the wall and drip into the dirt.

At my last house the line blocked, they used a CO2 cartridge with a tool, which blew it open right away.
That's how I would do it too but he was talking about tapping it into the shower drain so I wanted to make sure he knew about the trap.

Those blasters are awesome.
Learned that trick watching plumbers at work.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
i'm not understanding, probably my fault. Does the condensate line drain into the sewer line or to the outside on the ground somewhere or does it just empty into the gravel that was placed under the slab. Hope not the latter. Can you not access the end of the line where it empties?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
i'm not understanding, probably my fault. Does the condensate line drain into the sewer line or to the outside on the ground somewhere or does it just empty into the gravel that was placed under the slab. Hope not the latter. Can you not access the end of the line where it empties?
I ran a section of 1/2" pipe as far down as possible and shop-vac'ed the water and some gray slime up. I poked around with a section of 1/4" rebar, then a piece of wire, and vac'ed out again. This did not resolve the slow draining condensate. It felt like what I was hitting at the bottom was solid surface, not the irregular surface of gravel.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Sounds like someone just ran it into a drywell and it ain't dry no more.
Pump it up and outside.
Easiest and bestest way

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Simply pump it outside above grade , its hardly any water at all. My house had a basement airhandler and the condensate drain line (from a condensate pump) was just cable tied to the incoming freon lines and just emptied a few feet from the compressor.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Condensate from the a/c is basically distilled water. Run some 3/8 vinyl tubing to the outside from the condensate pump and let it go.

I have one of those CO² drain blasters though if you still want to try it. Your not that far from me

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors