A Use for My Old Benchtop Table Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
My Jet 10" workshop is filling the bill for my cutting needs, while the Sears benchtop saw collects dust. Then the light went on: I've a Sears 6" dado set, so I can put in on the benchtop saw, cut a rabbeting fence, and use that as a dedicated machine. The table on the Sears saw is small but true, and I won't be working on large panels. :grommit:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of a sanding station... but your execution is along the ideas of what MichaelGarner and I are considering doing when we have a larger shop space, where we can combine our operation into one space - a dedicated machine running the dado set.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I doubt that the bench top has either the guts, or the b---s to pull a dado head much. Being as lighty made as they are (they are called portable for a reason), they just won't stand up to such usage. I definately wouldn't try using an eight inch dado on it. This incredable sounding idea pops up about twice a year on one of the forums. Besides, why a dedicated dado machine? Are all the dados you are going to do the same size and depth? If not, you still spend the time on set up. Only real advantage I see is having MOST of your dado set in one place.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
My Jet 10" workshop is filling the bill for my cutting needs, while the Sears benchtop saw collects dust. Then the light went on: I've a Sears dado set, so I can put in on the benchtop saw, cut a rabbeting fence, and use that as a dedicated machine. The table on the Sears saw is small but true, and I won't be working on large panels. :grommit:

:icon_thumI just talked about the same idea with fredp when he picked up the lathe he bought. My intention is to set my old sears 12" saw beside the new Steel City and IF i can get it lined up accurately, use the same fence for both since the depth of the table tops are the same, the old 2hp sears will fit between the fence rails. As you stated, I can put the dado on it or use the 12" blade for the occassional added thickness in ripping capacity. I realize all dados will not be the same but if I need to rip something inbetween or in the middle of running dados, the rip operation is there without tearing down a set up. In a one man shop I think it would be an advantage----------not sure it would be if it is a "crew" work force.:)

Jerry

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
junduecol, I have used the dado once before on the Sears 10" benchtop. It produced OK results (Not mirror-smooth bottom on the dado).

I've set it up for the max width Sears recommends for my saw, 9/16". Cuts smaller than that can be easily done with my routers, in the time it would take me to st up the dado for the narrower cut.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'd like to run my rabbits through your machine......

But I'm talking about the ones eating my garden vegetables!

You might also look at adding a sanding disc or even an abrasive cutoff wheel.

Heck, I've even been so cheap/frugal/clever, I used some spray adhesive to glue sandpaper on the side of an old sawblade.

Jim

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
THe Sears dado does well on the saw. Tuesday, I cut 1 5/5" dadoes in two 90", two 48", and two 35" boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors