A Tale of Two Jointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglord

New User
John
I don't have experience with either of these jointers but I thought I'd share some observations.

On the Makita - it seems to be approaching $700 and for this price you could find some pretty nice new tools.

The Rockwell is an entirely different beast. The Makita or jointers of similar size are useful for cleaning up and squaring boards. They can be used to remove bows or cupping as well. Jointers like the Rockwell are very useful if you need to take-off a small amount of wood - e.g. trimming a door to fit, but due to the short bed length, it is not good for straightening rough or curved edge. The small jointer will follow the curves while smoothing the wood - nice finish but not much straighter than before.

Hopefully others with experience with these tools specifically will chime-in.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Tom,
Those Makitas are very popular and I see them popping up ~6 months on Ebay, Craig's list and IRS Auctions.

Here's another Makita jointer/planer:
http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?id=10365&ind=50

It's in Atlanta and I would assume it will at least need new/refurbished rollers if not other repairs. If you know someone in Atlanta you could make an appointment for them to inspect it prior to bidding.
The Charlotte one looks like a good bet if that's what you want.
Have you looked into to replacement parts? Some appear obsolete: http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/makita/2030

May want to buy both of these so you can have parts.:eusa_thin

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks, guys. I was more looking at the Makita for use as a jointer. I can re-do the rollers at my leisure.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
The Rockwell 653 was up to $175 ($30 was my last bid)

The Makita 2030 is up to $125. I would bid more, but I am on-call next week. If I win, the seller probably wants it gone in a week, so it will cost me some OT.

The Makita ended up going for $285.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors