A minor gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My wife (worthy of a major gloat) got me a 1/3 HP hanging motor rotary grinder/carver (cheap knockoff of a Foredom). It's one of these:
hangingmotor.jpg

I messed around with it a while last night and I really like the foot control and the power it has. It is a little harder to control than my Dremel with the more aggressive bits but that's because it is substantially more effective. The foot control is a generic one; it is basically a 3 prong extension cord with a speed control in the middle, so I can hang my old single speed Dremel next to the new motor and keep the Weecher recipricating handpiece on the Dremel. I need to get an A/B power switch and then it will really be a nice little set up. I will have to take a picture once I get that all set up.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You suck!!!!! A foot control, that's nice! I'm not a carver, but there are times when I wished I had something like that for my Dremel.

And more power - ha! Of course that's better :)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That's no minor gloat! I have contemplated just how bad I might be at carving, and consider one of those machines every time I pass it in the local Harbor Freight. HAVE FUN!

p.s. I do have what I would consider a minor gloat - just made the decision yesterday to upgrade from basic cable(not even standard - just 15 channels) to the first tier of the digital package. DIY and UNC-ED Here I come! of course I just had to get the DVR so that I can actually watch some of the programming I want to when the family is gone. My 3 y.o. will certainly be glued to Noggin!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Andy,

Congrats on the very cool tool snag. That's the kind of thing that is nice, even if you're not a carver.

Ray

CarvedTones

Andy
Yeah, a substantial number of uses (and abuses) for the Dremel are not carving related. One of the really nice things is that it frees up the Dremel to be dedicated (for the most part) to the Weecher reciprocating hand piece. It's a pain to switch between the Weecher and collets and I have used the Weecher a lot less because of that. And the foot control can be used with the Dremel as well as the new motor. I am having trouble finding a simple 3 prong A/B box though. That would make it really nice as I could have both hand pieces in front of me with a bit in the rotary and a blade in the reciprocating and just flip the switch to go from one to the other using the same control. What would really be cool would be an A/B switch that had cradles and just powered whichever one I picked up...

Oh yeah, sneaking in my second gloat - my bandsaw riser kit is "out for delivery" and should be there when I get home.:gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Andy,

Nice score! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm not a hundred percent sure what that thing does, but it looks cool to me! :roll: :lol::lol::lol: A minor you suck to you. ;-)

Trent

CarvedTones

Andy
Two gloats in one post? :swoon: Man you really SUCK! :wwink:

I might have to pick your brain regarding the Weecher thing. Haven't seen one of those and just started using my Dremel for some wood uses.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12789&highlight=shop+dog

Anyway congrats and I look forward to more pics!

PM me; I think I saw a message indicating you aren't far from me. I am right where Cary, Apex and Holly Springs confront each other, just north of 1010 off Kildaire (our neighborhood was captured by Cary long ago). I have an adapter that lets me use my Flex Cut palm blades in the Weecher. Imagine taking one of those super sharp FlexCut palm gouges and hitting it with a tiny hammer hundreds of times per second. I have some basswod and mahagony scraps that makes beautiful mulch we can carve on. I may be a carver, but I am still learning to be a good carver. I am getting decent at relief, but in the round gives me fits. If you still have dull blades we can hone some of those also.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Congrats on the tool score. If it isn't as useful as you hope, you can always do part-time dentistry. :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS