A little different project for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Sort of easy, fun, not much stress, etc. Garden gate for my sister-in-law. Cedar and some copper work. Thanks for looking.

Tom

Gate1.JPG

Gate2.JPG

llucas

luke
Senior User
Very nice!...Classy touch with the copper...what technique did you use to make the leaves?

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks for all your comments! The leaves are just copper sheet, leaves cut out and edges sanded. Then I draw in light vein lines on the "back" of the leaf. I lay the leaf on a piece of soft wood (cedar scrap) and I use a big washer then, about 1 1/2 inch, and roll it along the vein lines and tap with a hammer. The leaves begin to roll and curve inward into a leaf shape and you just keep tapping until you get a desired look. Wash off any of the drawn vein lines with mineral spirits.

Phil you're welcome to copy. I saw the plans for this in a gate magazine or website back in 2003. I built a narrow one to just stand as a decoration near a mailbox then. This one was from memory and made wider to fit as a replacement gate.

Thanks again,

Tom

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like the curved top rail and the progressively longer stiles above the top arch.

I'm curious about the bottom of the gate. Does it form a pocket that would hold water and cause rotting or is it open so the water can pass through?

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
It's all open Mike. Hard to see in the pics but the the stiles are just sandwiched between the back and front rails and it's all open between each stile.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS