a good reminder for some and maybe brand new info for those of you new to hand tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Easier said than done. Just ask me about dovetails even after being taught by the best.

schnable

New User
Andrew
Easier said than done. Just ask me about dovetails even after being taught by the best.

I felt the same way about using a router jig to do it. I took an hour of test cuts to do what I can (now) do by hand in minutes. (But I am not doing production work :) )

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Does a perfectly square end really matter at the end of the day for most woodworking applications?

OMG, my cut on a 6" w board is out of square by 1 degree, that's a huge 7/64", but if it's only 0.5 degrees then it's reduced to 3/64". The wider the board the more pronounced something <exactly 90 degrees becomes across that width.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does a perfectly square end really matter at the end of the day for most woodworking applications?

OMG, my cut on a 6" w board is out of square by 1 degree, that's a huge 7/64", but if it's only 0.5 degrees then it's reduced to 3/64". The wider the board the more pronounced something <exactly 90 degrees becomes across that width.
Yes,
In hand tool woodworking I find that out of square will accumulate and eventually, you are wondering what happened!

Now with that said can you compensate, absolutely, but acquiring and practicing the skill is the name of the game here - along with the "Tips and tricks" the "oldtimers" knew that we have lost with our "Machine mentality!"

schnable

New User
Andrew
I will cut something on the table saw and I will still true it up with the shooting board - hand tools can be very accurate.

Andrew

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
wow, that whole site is amazing. thanks for digging it up
It is isn't it Bill?
That is one of my "go-to's" (after NCWW of course!):rolleyes:

I think our very own Mike Davis turned me onto it when I was looking for information on some old tool.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, that's one of my go to sites for info. It's a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors