A few more pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am sure that y'all are stick of them, but they are so much fun to turn I just can't stop.

Redbud (from Walnutjerry..thanks!) with Gabon Ebony and Holly CB and wire burns -

Copy_of_Pens_275.jpg

Purpleheart modified Euro with Yellowheart and Bloodwood CB and Yellowheart veneer accents. To be given as a gift to a family friend who is a Purple Heart decorated Viet Nam vet -

Copy_of_Pens_295.jpg

A Classic American in Kingwood -

Copy_of_Pens_281A.jpg

And finally a bias cut Lacewood fancy Slimline -

Copy_of_Pens_279.jpg

No, those aren't sanding lines, the bias cut left some interesting grain. The Lacewood was the most difficult pen I've turned, it just didn't want to work with any of my tools, and I ended up bring it to final size with an 80 grit gouge :oops:

Thanks for looking and offering any critique on the pens or pics.
Dave:)

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Cranking them out there aren't you? I'm starting to run out of creative adjectives to define your pens so I'll just say C O O L :icon_thum

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Nice job with the red bud Dave---------I like the accents you incorporated with it. Very pleasing.:icon_thum It will be interesting to see the change in color of the red bud as it develops its patina. I have used some red bud as trim on chess boards, it looked almost gold colored when freshly finished but turned chocolate over time.

The color I am seeing on my screen looks like natural cherry at this point.
Time will tell.

Jerry

MikeH

New User
Mike
Dave you're cranking all kinds of stuff out of your shop. The pens look great! :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those are awesome!!
How do you do the veneering??
Thanks
quid_non

The veneering is just pieces of veneer sandwiched between cross cut sections of the blank. I generally laminate two pieces of veneer together so the resulting band has a little width.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice work Dave.

Oh.. BTW - My baron kits were backordered till I think the 2nd week in Feb. I still have you down for one.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,

Those are really awesome pens, keep posting....I would love to learn how to do that some day, after I learn all the other stuff on my list!!!:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice work Dave.

Oh.. BTW - My baron kits were backordered till I think the 2nd week in Feb. I still have you down for one.

Cool, thanks Clay, I have some Cigar kits coming from Woodturningz, there's only so much you can do with a Slimline, I need to branch out to some better kits.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Cool, thanks Clay, I have some Cigar kits coming from Woodturningz, there's only so much you can do with a Slimline, I need to branch out to some better kits.
The possiblities of what you can do with a slimline are unlimited.
I once saw a Slim line made to resemble a pool cue that sold for $125.00.
Not a bad return on a $1.70 investment.:eusa_thin

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
The veneering is just pieces of veneer sandwiched between cross cut sections of the blank. I generally laminate two pieces of veneer together so the resulting band has a little width.

Thanks - I think I understand. You cut the blanks into close to the needed size, the sandwich the veneer between the blank wood, glue all then derill the required hole for the mandrel??

Thanks for the tips - I'm gonna' try it!
Best
Wayne

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice work as usual. We never get tired of the different styles and wood combinations. Awesome pens.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The possiblities of what you can do with a slimline are unlimited.
I once saw a Slim line made to resemble a pool cue that sold for $125.00.
Not a bad return on a $1.70 investment.:eusa_thin

That's very true Eagle, I should have phrased the statement as "there is only so much I can do with a Slimline" :lol::lol: It is a versatile kit, but I want to make pens with nicer or different kits.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That's very true Eagle, I should have phrased the statement as "there is only so much I can do with a Slimline" :lol::lol: It is a versatile kit, but I want to make pens with nicer or different kits.

Though the design modifications of a cigar kit are a bit limited you can't beat them for value.
There are 13 components including the tubes, transmission and refill.
Most of the otehr components are machine with threads.
It is amazing how much value there is in thise kits.
They are a little clucky and I don't care for the "bolt" on the finial, but for a good sized pen they cannot be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors