A couple of new, to me, planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I picked these up a while back and am way behind on posting pics of them since I've had too much other stuff going on. I came across them during a visit with my dad a couple of months ago and when I asked them about them he told me that they had belonged to his grand father who had used them to build, and help build, several family buildings and at least one church in our community. He told me if I was interested in them I should take them with me when I left or they might not be there latter on. I took him up on the offer and brought them home. They're not in the greatest of shape I guess and I haven't really decided what I'm going to do with them as of yet, but here they are none-the-less.

20131124_135814.jpg

View image in gallery

Thanks for looking
B.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I have a soft spot for tools with a family history. If they are the sort of tool you use then fixing them up and returning them to service is not a hard or picky job. The only thing I see that might be problematic is the amount of rust on the blades. If they are deeply pitted then a replacement blade will be in order. If you don't want to resturn them to service, build them a shelf and put them up on the shop wall or sell them and get a tool you want.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My monitor here is too dark to see them well. I can tell the larger one is a Bailey and looks to have a decent sole. It will clean up nicely and be a great jointer plane. Can't tell from the pics but is one a #7 and the bigger one an 8 or are the 6 and 7. Regardless, I think you've go something there that can be an extremely useful user plane. Not sure of the collectors value as I'm a user, not a collector.

I would be proud to have those in my possession, especially having some family history attached to them. Let me know if you need any help tuning them up. My weekends are getting filled up, but I might be able to find some time to help your work on them.

Please don't sell them without checking here first.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
now we are all curious - I am guessing a #4 and #5.

The longer may be newer (I see made in USA behind the "Hot air ballon" style knob) but it is a bailey, that is good. I don't care for the plane cap with the "kidney shaped opening, but that is a minor thing.

Maybe the other one has Made in USA too, but cant really see that in the picture.

Look behind the frog and see if patent dates are listed (probably 1910...?)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Sorry, guys. I completely left out the rest of the info on them since I was running late for something. The Bailey is a No 6 and the only markings on the smaller one are Fulton. The rear handle on the Fulton is broken/cracked, but still sort of together. I'm not sure if the extra blade and breaker that I found with them goes to either one. I'll put them both in the truck in case I can make it to lunch on Friday.

They're pretty filthy from being stored and I haven't attempted to do anything with them yet. I definitely won't be selling them though. Most likely just try to get them cleaned up some to display somewhere or maybe get them in usable shape. Haven't done any work with hand tools so maybe these would be good enough to give it a try with.

Thanks for the replies.
B.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Absolutely!
The #6 bailey is a work horse! (that and a #4 are "go-to" planes)
Plus there is sentimental value too!

I don't know much about the Fulton. Maybe someone else here does...

You can also contact Ed Lebetkin - he was REALLY helpful to me on questions I had.
EdLebetkin@gmail.com
http://www.woodwrightschool.com/the-tool-store/
plus he is a great source for parts... (as Mark mentioned you might need blades if those are pitted too bad. and if the tote is broken (not useable). if it is solid, keep it or pull it and glue it and keep it...

Just my suggestions

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Hank, the tote looks to me like it could be glued/repaired and is only missing that small little chunk next to the screw that you see in the 2nd picture. But I'm not qualified to say that it's repairable for sure or not, but I'm guessing it couldn't hurt to try! :D

B

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Brian, both those planes should be repairable to useable condition. The broken tote is not a major issue. I've repaired many of them. I've even made a jig for clamping them while the glue dries. As Mark pointed out, the blades might need replacing if you intend using them. You can buy a used blade from someone like Ed Lebetkin fairly cheap, or you can go for an after-market blade from someone like Hock for more money.

In the past we've held workshops in my shop for tuning and refurbishing old planes. We'll probably do so again in the future. That would be an excellent time to bring your old planes and we can work on them together.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep Brian,
Looks fixable to me too. (as Bill says)
the "tail" is typically missing on a LOT of totes.

The "Break" is typical too.

I am not sure (somone smarter than me may know) but, I believe the problem is either.
1. stress in the wood (drying out)
2. the tote screw loosens and the user keeps planing... (in addition to the blade getting dull...)

I would encourage Bill to have the plane tune-up class (hint hint) and determine what you should do with those to prepare.

As everyone has mentioned, first things first - look at those blades and either tune them up or get some new ones... (If you intend to use the planes... if not clean them up and hang 'em on the wall!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS