A Couple More Bowls

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Scrap wood quickly can find a use this way! I continue to try to learn basics of bowl turning here (no super thin walls), and tried my hand at segmented turning simply because I had a scrap of highly figured cherry that I could not bring myself to throw away. The oak bowl is just cut offs as well, but I'm fairly pleased. I only had one joint in the segmented bowl that wasn't really tight, and that was due to my clamping method I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 68

Ta2Doc

New User
Doc
Nicely done! Particularly like the contrast on the second one... are the dark stripes segments,inlay, stain? Love that it has a different appearance inside, vs exterior. I'm just getting back into turning. Did my first wee bowl in 5 years over the weekend. It's great therapy and I've missed it.
Thanks for sharing!
~doc

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Nicely done! Particularly like the contrast on the second one... are the dark stripes segments,inlay, stain? Love that it has a different appearance inside, vs exterior. I'm just getting back into turning. Did my first wee bowl in 5 years over the weekend. It's great therapy and I've missed it.
Thanks for sharing!
~doc
the dark stripes are textured areas that were then ebonized with India ink. It tends to cover up the texturing detail, but looks good close up. The India ink was cheap and the best "dye" I could get for this particular task.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
What glue do you use to hold the parts and pieces together for turning

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice pieces, great way to use your scraps and improve your skills. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
What glue do you use to hold the parts and pieces together for turning
I used Original Titebond because that's what I have on hand. However, realize that I'm not an expert here at all. Charles Lent is who you should ask because he is the real deal.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors