A Christmas gift and my first SOLO turned project

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
A little back story: My father-in-law, Dale Clemens (deceased) was a brilliant wood turner. When he passed, I inherited his Oneway 2436. Over the last eight years it has pretty much collected dust. I had the machine, the tools, the shop space, and the opportunity. What also had was a fear of failure. I was so intimidated by all the beautiful turnings that are on display all over our house.

Recently I have made a few items under the tutelage of Mike Mathews and I also had a chance to participate at a few NCWW events and it emboldened me to make something on my own.

One of Dale’s favorite treats was a very particular biscuit (cookie) that his family always made at Christmas. The most important thing about this biscuit is that when you roll the dough it needs to be exactly 1/4 of an inch thick. We have tried all manner of different techniques for ensuring the dough was rolled out to that precise thickness. This year I got the idea to take on my first SOLO turning project and make a rolling pin specifically for making our Christmas biscuits.

My first step was to buy turning stock at the Klingspor anniversary event in Winston Salem. I bought a 16/4 x 16/4 piece of hard maple. Prior to turning my rolling pin, I took the advice of Richard Moore (Graywolf) and did a practice run on some scrap. I glued a couple of 2x4s together and took a run at it. I am very glad I did: My practice piece was all over the place as I learned how to properly “ride the bevel” for a clean cut. I then mounted my hard maple block and began. I was rather pleased with what I was able to turn out. I gave it to my wife, Anne as an early Christmas gift and we used it to make the most perfect batch of biscuits we have ever made.

Notes:

• Thanks to Mike and his tutelage.
  • Thanks to Richard and his suggestion.
  • Thanks to NCWW for giving me the opportunity to push my boundaries.
  • I did cut the practice run down to a mini baseball bat and added some Seattle Mariner decals for a very good friend who is a diehard fan, and they could not be more pleased.
  • The photo attached shows the finished product next to the remainder of the maple stock.

Attachments

• PXL_20231213_162245261.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231213_162245261.MP.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt thanks for sharing this story. NCWW has really help many people, myself included "up their game".

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Great work. I've found that turning a true cylinder is far more difficult and time consuming than I first thought.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Look thru the window in Biscuitville at the biscuit maker for a similar roller.

iclark

Ivan
User
That is _so_ much better than my first solo effort. :)

Thanks for sharing both the piece and the back story.

For what it might be worth, when I am making something with a long straight section (like a carving mallet taper or a constant-diameter rolling pin), once I get the shape close, I use a 60-grit gouge to get the taper right. A 60-grit gouge is an old joke. It is a piece of 60-grit sandpaper wrapped around a straight edge or gouge shaft. Of course, if I am closer to what I want, I use a finer grit to finish roughing in that surface.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s great Matt, I’m pleased to have been of service to you and your confidence in this craft. I look forward to seeing more from you in the coming year.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors