9/16 brill bit for boring blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I needed a 9/16 and a 25/32 bit to bore out some blanks and since I was close to the blue BORG I thought I wiould stop by and pick one up - They had the 25/32 in a twist bit (go figure) and they had every other common size bit in the twist except the 9/16 :BangHead: So I seen a 9/16 paddle bit and decided to get one - I don't have that many to do anyway - I found out real quick that a paddle bit is not a good thing to use for a good fit for your tubes:BangHead:

So my question is - Don't they made a 9/16 twist or do I need to get one at a better place -

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I got one at home depot a long time ago but....?????????? who knows what the have now.:dontknow: wilders, grainger, or fastenall would have them.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I got one at home depot a long time ago but....?????????? who knows what the have now.:dontknow: wilders, grainger, or fastenall would have them.

Thanks Fred - we have a Fastenal here in Lexington - I will check them out :icon_thum Got to get these Christmas gifts done:eusa_danc

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most likely anything bigger than 1/2" in a twist drill is going to be a "Silver and Deming" bit. This means it has a reduced shank (1/2"). They are usually only about 3" long in the twist. From Enco, on sale, you are looking at about $40 for the pair. I would look at Penn State's web site and see if they have a brad point that size. Also, check Woodcraft, and Klingspor's. Get one of those drill bit sizers (like the Handyman Club sends you,) and hit a local pawn shop. Odds are you will find one there, but it will be DULL!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Morris Tool makes some good ones in about any size you want.

As has been noted, Enco or Shars will have 1/2" shank metal cutting point twist drills for cheap. Get one and regrind it to a brad point.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks guys:icon_thum here is another dumb question - Do you think that a 9/16 Forstner bit would work in boring the blanks

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Boring into wood end grain, for best results, takes a special grind, sort of like a brad point with the cutting spurs knocked off. Other bit point configurations will get a hole in end grain, but not with the same efficiency and lack of burning or chatter.

A Forstner will work if you can get it to go slowly enough without burning. The wannabee Forstners with the 3/8" shanks can be made to work if sharpened and run slowly, its just that they generally don't drill very deeply unless one has an extension.

Boring into end grain creates a lot of vibration and chatter. The press has to have a rather rigid quill and a good fit in the head casting hole. The stock needs to be clamped securely.

I wish I knew of some other way to get a quick, easy hole deep into end grain, but as of yet, I haven't come across such.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks guys:icon_thum here is another dumb question - Do you think that a 9/16 Forstner bit would work in boring the blanks

Forstner are not designed for end grain drilling. Might work but chances are you will have issues. You will be better off getting a brad point bit. Buy a couple so you always have a spare.

jimwill48

James
Phillp,

I have one in a Colt brand. If you get over Mooresville way you can borrow or bring your blanks and drill them here....james

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS