50 years of struggle led me to this

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sharp. Not so hard? Well, I tried many solutions, spent a fortune, and I now can get sharp in a minute or so.

Last tweak was replacing the ruler with a brass strip that locks onto the stone so it does not slip. Of course DMT and Sharpton are not the same size :)

Attachments

• 20220427_071733.jpg
    20220427_071733.jpg
    825.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220427_071745.jpg
    20220427_071745.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have never used that "trick", don't believe in "tricks", practice proven principles in sharpening, have taught hundreds of people to sharpen anything from Exacto knives to 20 inch planer blades by hand, and hope I never have to resort to "tricks" to get a sharp edge.

But, if that works for you, more power to you.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Only trick is the strip does not slide off. ( For plane irons. ) Almost everything I now do by hand. Only need a jig when one gets really messed up as I did to some older tools, and for new or yard sale tools. Actually, glad I had not ditched my Work Sharp yet as it got the rough angles back on my #45 I just got. Lots of metal I had to remove to get to solid edges.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am using the WorkSharp more since I got the diamond plates for it.

That metal on the stone is often referred to as 'the ruler trick'.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I still have a motorized water stone, oil stones, and manual water stones but I was even more reluctant to sharpen until I got my Worksharp 3000 several years ago. There is a bad spot on the motor and I have to flick the sharpening wheel to get it going but it is by far my favorite way to sharpen. I watched a stumpy nubs piece on the diamond plates but have not made the investment yet. I got an extra wheel or two and some finer abrasive but I think that the stock grits work well and the finer sandpaper is just not necessary. I wish the motor on mine worked better, I should probably try cleaning it, but I am not ready to go back to one of my other sharpeners. I do the knives for my little AP-10 planer on it too.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I am using the WorkSharp more since I got the diamond plates for it.

That metal on the stone is often referred to as 'the ruler trick'.
Exactly, but rulers slide around. The strips bent over do not. That's the small tweak that makes a difference in ease and quickness.

I got some fine lapidary plates for the WS, and they galled. I should look into a couple of courser ones. 350, 600 maybe.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Nice but I don't have an issue with the ruler sliding on water stone. It sticks by water tension. I wouldn't use a WorkSharp if you gave me one.

The Charlesworth "ruler trick" is just another way of doing a secondary bevel. Its not a crutch or cheese out - its a very valid method used by thousands to speed up and ultra sharp edge on a plane iron.

Sharpening is just like cooking as many ways as their are chefs. Any one method that gets the desired result is the right one.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Nice but I don't have an issue with the ruler sliding on water stone. It sticks by water tension. I wouldn't use a WorkSharp if you gave me one.

The Charlesworth "ruler trick" is just another way of doing a secondary bevel. Its not a crutch or cheese out - its a very valid method used by thousands to speed up and ultra sharp edge on a plane iron.

Sharpening is just like cooking as many ways as their are chefs. Any one method that gets the desired result is the right one.
I did. Maybe you had a fatter ruler.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Realization? True realization is the fact that woodworking is no longer a hobby for the average person, but an ego trip for those that have money.
Wow! I didn't know I had money! Seriously though, I spend on fishing, hunting, my grandchildren, my wife etc. It is a hobby for the average person, like fishing, you can use a cane pole and worms and stand on the bank or buy a big fancy boat all the fishing gear, new truck to pull it, etc. Still just fishing.

Wannabe

New User
Vic
Wow! I didn't know I had money! Seriously though, I spend on fishing, hunting, my grandchildren, my wife etc. It is a hobby for the average person, like fishing, you can use a cane pole and worms and stand on the bank or buy a big fancy boat all the fishing gear, new truck to pull it, etc. Still just fishing.
I strongly suggest you keep pursuing fishing.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Well, that took an interesting left turn.

For me, time is money as I’m still working full time and can only make sawdust when work allows (I typically work 60 - 70 hour weeks). Tools that make my woodworking easier are certainly a luxury, and I love the time in the shop making things, but just because someone can afford at least some of them and trade money for time doesn’t make it an ego trip or any lesser craftsmanship. It’s what allows me to enjoy my hobby.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Realization? True realization is the fact that woodworking is no longer a hobby for the average person, but an ego trip for those that have money.
I have been teaching a young student for a couple years, she works on her hobby about one day every two months. She is a full time grad student with a part time job, about 60-80 hours a week total. Her shop lesson is $90 a day but I give her a small student discount.
Most of her tools have been gifts from me or some of the guys here at NCWW. She has a pretty good box of all hand tools, almost enough to build real furniture. She is trying to buy her first home after living in apartments through 6 years of college. After she gets her home she hopes to build one nice piece of furniture a year to replace all the used stuff that got her through school.

So, yeah, woodworking is an ego trip for those who have money. And possibly a way for those who want better furniture that is hand made to last a lifetime because anything that good is out of range for anyone who doesn't have money.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
tvrgeek previously stated: "I started this thread to share how a $3.49 strip of brass solved a small problem for me thinking someone else may have the same problem."

Further comments should be restricted to the ruler trick and sharpening in general.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
tvrgeek previously stated: "I started this thread to share how a $3.49 strip of brass solved a small problem for me thinking someone else may have the same problem."

Further comments should be restricted to the ruler trick and sharpening in general.
Agreed, but a little bit of variation can be permitted sometimes? As long as it doesn't get too sideways. lol Our mods do a great job.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS