50 cal pen and display

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I recently scored some 50 cal pen kits made with once-fired casings. The pen was simple enough to make but not really spectacular when finished. It is a nice conversation piece but unwieldy and not well suited for a pocket or purse
I decided to try and make it a little more " desk worthy " and after lots of thought came up with this:

50_cal_pen.jpg

View image in gallery

The bullet is Brazilian Rosewood, the gun walnut and the base mahogany. Finished with lemon oil and Deft . This is just a prototype and I already have some ideas to improve it including a little more detail scrolled into the machine gun, a thinner profile and a different style of handle . I turned the barrel on the lathe ( took me 3 tries ) and I have some ideas to improve that too.
All in all a fun little project and just in time for Christmas :gar-Bi

thanx for lookin' :mrgreen:

T

toolferone

Very cool and a very big pen. I like the idea of taking the cooling holes farther down the barrel with just a small amount of small barrel showing.

Either way it is awesome!!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Robert,

Your Amazing~! That is one awesome project you have made and I am sure the receiver will be very Thankful~!

Way To GO~!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job bro :icon_thum you sure do have that thinking cap on - can't wait to see the next one - Question-When I did one of these 50's I was told to make a jig to put the shell on the lathe to spin it and hit it with 0000 SW - Did you do that?

sawduster

New User
Robert
Question-When I did one of these 50's I was told to make a jig to put the shell on the lathe to spin it and hit it with 0000 SW - Did you do that?

No , I like the fact that it is tarnished as it is a real once-fired casing. Polishing it, in my opinion would make it look fake

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Nice!!!

I guess in this case the pen truly is mightier than the sword... :gar-Bi:rotflm:

Let me get that for you 'Duster... :slap:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
+1 on a great conversation piece!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Can't say I have seen anything like it, Robert. Betcha there is a market out there for something this unique.

Very well done!

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
Very cool and a very big pen. I like the idea of taking the cooling holes farther down the barrel with just a small amount of small barrel showing.

Either way it is awesome!!

The finished product was a hybrid of several different versions. the WWII fixed-mount ( for aircraft ) that was the basis for the chassis actually did have the cooling sleeve for the entire length of the barrel . the tripod-mounted " Ma Deuce " has the shorter sleeve. I thought that was cooler but in hindsight I tend to agree with you and the next one will have the longer sleeve. The holes are a real challenge and I was happy to have less of them to deal with :rolf:
I really like the tripod mounted slimmer version but I have yet to overcome the challenge of recreating the tripod and making it stable without it looking cheesy :BangHead:

Thanx everyone for the kind words. my creative fires have been sputtering lately and it was nice to feel the burn again :banana:

Dragon

New User
David
Great job on that one Robert. My favorite weapon and you can write with it too! FWIW, I prefer the Ma Deuce version. :thumbs_up

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great idea Robert! The pen looks great too.:icon_thum

I bought 3 of Alex's .50 cal pens for me and my 2 brothers. You are right about it being too heavy for the pocket. I may have to "steal" your idea so I can give my brothers a cool "pen holder" for theirs.

Keep that thinking cap on. It works well for you!:icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors