$5 ReStore Millers Falls No 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Picked up a Millers Falls No 10 from the local Habitat ReStore for $5. Comparable to a Bailey No 4 1/2 smoothing plane. Rusted, but in decent shape. Disassembled and put all the parts in an EvapoRust bath overnight. After scrubbing the parts with a small wire brush, looks MUCH better. Sharpened the iron and started make some nice shavings. I'll need to do some work on the sole since there some pitting, but it's now in usable condition. Original japanning and red paint look great. Knob and handle had no cracks.

Before pictures:
IMG_24311.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_24331.JPG

IMG_24341.JPG

After the EvapoRust bath:
IMG_24731.JPG

IMG_24741.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_24761.JPG

Reassembled:
IMG_24772.JPG

IMG_24781.JPG

IMG_24791.JPG

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Picked up a Millers Falls No 10 from the local Habitat ReStore for $5. Comparable to a Bailey No 4 1/2 smoothing plane. Rusted, but in decent shape. Disassembled and put all the parts in an EvapoRust bath overnight. After scrubbing the parts with a small wire brush, looks MUCH better. Sharpened the iron and started make some nice shavings. I'll need to do some work on the sole since there some pitting, but it's now in usable condition. Original japanning and red paint look great. Knob and handle had no cracks.

Before pictures:
IMG_24311.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_24331.JPG

IMG_24341.JPG

After the EvapoRust bath:
IMG_24731.JPG

IMG_24741.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_24761.JPG

Reassembled:
IMG_24772.JPG

IMG_24781.JPG

IMG_24791.JPG

Very nice...I am a fan of Miller's Falls tools.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
My Miller Falls tote is a totally different shape.

Is that the original tote?

I don't know enough about them to know, but looking on this site shows that there have been several different tote shapes over the years. I think mine looks most similar to the Type 3 tote, so it might be the original.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Always liked those 2 piece/hinged lever caps.

I never worry much about light pitting on the sole. Doesn't really affect use, makes it slightly easier to push. Think corrugated. ;)

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have a four old Craftsman planes and one plane that does not appear to have any markings on it at all. The cutting iron on the latter is pretty beaten up. It appears that someone tried to adjust it with a hammer. None of the planes are badly rusted but they do have some surface rust. I bought some Evapo-Rust for the purpose of cleaning up these planes. It looks like it worked pretty good for you.

Pete

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Nice find! Nice restoration. I picked up a MF #4C (corrugated) at an estate sale last month. I over-paid ($15) for it because I needed a scrub plane donor. After a minor refurb, it's working well for that purpose. I volunteer weekly at a Habitat ReStore and have snatched up some nice bargains. A mint Starrett 6" rule, a DMT double sided Diafold, a large sheet of ½” Phenolic come to mind. Each were $1.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I have a four old Craftsman planes and one plane that does not appear to have any markings on it at all. The cutting iron on the latter is pretty beaten up. It appears that someone tried to adjust it with a hammer. None of the planes are badly rusted but they do have some surface rust. I bought some Evapo-Rust for the purpose of cleaning up these planes. It looks like it worked pretty good for you.

The EvapoRust worked wonders for me, and it can be reused until exhausted. For heavy rust you might have to sand a little, but for this one I just scrubbed with a small wire brush and it all came off easily.

Nice find! Nice restoration. I picked up a MF #4C (corrugated) at an estate sale last month. I over-paid ($15) for it because I needed a scrub plane donor. After a minor refurb, it's working well for that purpose. I volunteer weekly at a Habitat ReStore and have snatched up some nice bargains. A mint Starrett 6" rule, a DMT double sided Diafold, a large sheet of ½” Phenolic come to mind. Each were $1.

My ReStore is down the road from my work, so I usually hit it at least once a week to see what they have. The tool selection at that particular store seems to have dwindled lately, but there are certainly gems to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors