5/4 Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Are those bluebird houses the same ones sold in the State Employees Credit Union? If so, they are well made and it costs less to buy there than to try to build one yourself. We have 2 in our back yard and we replace them every couple of years.
Yes, they're the same ones. The price can't be beat.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are those bluebird houses the same ones sold in the State Employees Credit Union? If so, they are well made and it costs less to buy there than to try to build one yourself. We have 2 in our back yard and we replace them every couple of years.

In the quantity we build them and using mostly volunteers I am told for the pine houses the cost is about $5.00. I do not know what the price of the cypress houses are. They are only made for special orders. We occasionally make other houses such as bat and wood duck.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Can anyone walk in and buy one or do you have to be a credit union member?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The houses cost around $10. Maybe $5. It's been a year since I bought the last couple. As far as I know any one could walk in and buy them. They are usually on a display near the seating/waiting area.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks. I'm not going to buy a poorly constructed pine birdhouse even for a cheap $10.

My cypress ones are about 8-12 years old and they're holding up well in the weather 24/7/365!

The price at SECU was $10, but they're the pine versions, and some of them were not particularly well constructed. It appears that they were the leftovers.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks. I'm not going to buy a poorly constructed pine birdhouse even for a cheap $10.
To be clear, the old one I have made by the same organization is well constructed. It, too, lasted a long time. The ones I saw at SECU looked like the templates may be getting worn or the boards are warping. That is, the ones I saw were the ones left after the lot had been picked over.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
To be clear, the old one I have made by the same organization is well constructed. It, too, lasted a long time. The ones I saw at SECU looked like the templates may be getting worn or the boards are warping. That is, the ones I saw were the ones left after the lot had been picked over.

You didn't explain that earlier...The price at SECU was $10, but they're the pine versions, and some of them were not particularly well constructed. It appears that they were the leftovers.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
You didn't explain that earlier...
I don't in any want to disparage this organization. They're doing a great job. My point is, I don't think that these leftovers are typical of the birdhouses they're building.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't in any want to disparage this organization. They're doing a great job. My point is, I don't think that these leftovers are typical of the birdhouses they're building.

You aren't disparaging the organization. You could have simply explained it better: "most are good quality construction but once in awhile it's not very good".

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The price at SECU was $10, but they're the pine versions, and some of them were not particularly well constructed. It appears that they were the leftovers.

The SECU ONLY sells pine bird houses. Cypress are special order. When they leave us I can't tell you what happens to them or how they are treated. When they leave everyone is sanded as needed, inspected and if found defective repaired or put in a pile of 2nds. These 2nds are only sold at the shop. Typical defects that requires a repair or rejection are doors not opening and closing properly and nails sticking through to the inside. I have several house in my yard. All are 2nds. Don't tell the birds..... they don't know it.

Mike if you get back to the SECU please take a picture of the "leftovers". I will get it to the organizers.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott, I think they're in touch with with organization. The rack is not full. I told them they were making more on the 21st, and they were happy. They apparently sell a lot of them. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in birdhouses to drop by and buy one or more. They're the deal of the year!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
You aren't disparaging the organization. You could have simply explained it better: "most are good quality construction but once in awhile it's not very good".
Jeff, I guess I'm just not as gifted with words as you are.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The SECU ONLY sells pine bird houses. Cypress are special order. When they leave us I can't tell you what happens to them or how they are treated. When they leave everyone is sanded as needed, inspected and if found defective repaired or put in a pile of 2nds. These 2nds are only sold at the shop. Typical defects that requires a repair or rejection are doors not opening and closing properly and nails sticking through to the inside. I have several house in my yard. All are 2nds. Don't tell the birds..... they don't know it.

Mike if you get back to the SECU please take a picture of the "leftovers". I will get it to the organizers.

Hey Scott still full of humor I see :) I too have lots of bird house in my yard and I didn't build a single one. Birds build them better than I ever could. Your spoiling your birds!

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Got one today at a SECU for $10. Not bad for the $ and the birds won't know the difference!

The houses cost around $10. Maybe $5. It's been a year since I bought the last couple. As far as I know any one could walk in and buy them. They are usually on a display near the seating/waiting area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors