4x4 cherry for table legs

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’ve been looking for a good deal on some cherry, but now I’m just ready to pay whatever.

I need enough to make 4 table legs.

Do you have it? Do you know where to get?

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Mike,

I was at the Hardwood Store on Saturday and I think that they had some. Might want to call first as I really wasn't looking for that so I my be mistaken.

Jeff

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Contact Glenn at GPS, he usually has a good supply of cherry, plus he's not far from your work location. Check his website for hours of operation.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
GPS Hardwoods will have 8/4 cherry available in about 1 week according to their recent newsletter.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Mike,
What about Steve Wall?

I replied to this thread last night with a link to SW Lumber and it vanished. After looking at his product listing again, I'm lucky that it disappeared. I had misread 4/4 as 4 x 4. Duh.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wall also has select 8/4 cherry listed for $5.75/bf.

I replied to this thread last night with a link to SW Lumber and it vanished. After looking at his product listing again, I'm lucky that it disappeared. I had misread 4/4 as 4 x 4. Duh.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jeff,

Okay, makes sense now. There are 4 x 4 or nominal 4 x 4 leg blanks available, but my experience is they’re often under turning blanks like here:

https://www.adamswoodproducts.com/configure.asp?cat=32&display=true

Or from Mr. Dunlap, the other vendor I’d posted earlier.

We used to have some suppliers up here and into Pennsylvania that kept 16/4 planks, but generally they weren’t cut for leg stock and the growth rings and grain runout make it hit-or-miss to get good stock. A good turning billet shouldn’t have those issues.

Unfortunately, I’m sitting on a project while trying to track down some SYP 3 x 3 leg stock that has tight grain with good grain orientation and growth rings from corner to corner. Cheap would be good since I need eight legs, rails and stretchers as well.;)

Here’s the project if anyone is curious.

https://archive.org/details/mma_gateleg_dropleaf_table_3913

Last edited:

EXKid

New User
Mark
I know this thread is long in the tooth, but I have some 4x4 cherry my grandfather had milled back in the late 60’s in Michigan. Mind you he picked through it to use the best stuff from his retirement til he died in the early 90s. I have what’s left. Much of it has the pith, any worming from what I can tell is kept to the sapwood, but it’s certainly stable having air dried for so long. I brought it down to nc from my grandmothers a few years ago.

Since I make bowls, the figuring of the wood around the pith is attractive, so I don’t mind that it isn’t dead straight and clear grain. I think much of it is branch wood to be honest.

I’m in Charlotte, but let me know if you still need some of this.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS