3M Sander 2.5 mm

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I had a need for a fine sander and checked out all the usual suspects, Mirka, Festool and then 3M.

In the end I chose the 3M, mostly because it will be less used than the other sanders I have and price.

However, to my surprise, this sander really performs. I got a 3mm sander over the 5mm orbit because of the amount of hardwood I work with. That, and I have 5mm sanders already

Little to no vibration........ very happy with this purchase, thought I would share.

Attachments

• 20240419_192750.jpg
    20240419_192750.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20240419_192807.jpg
    20240419_192807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
And what does the "2.5 mm"in the title refers to? Not sure I get it.
I think he just rounded up in the body of the message. The title and picture show a 2.5 mm orbital stroke.

@Oka did you look at the MAXXT? They appear to be identical to the 3M but cost less. I don’t know if they are identical on the inside, but the warranty appears to be the same.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have the Maxxt 5mm. But no comparison. The 3M is has way tighter tolerances so the motor energy is much better translated in to useful work. The Maxxt is still an excellent sander and is the one I usually go to. I have a 5" Maxxt and a Sealy 6". My guess they come from the same factory.

But, to get a great mechanical finish the 3mm orbit really finishes hardwoods surprisingly well. I was worried about spending 400 bucks on a sander I will use about 20-25% of my sanding time. But after using it , very happy

Echd

C
User
I have found that the worrying and fretting I do in the deliberation phase leading up to a purchase often disappears once the new tool is in hand, and I wonder why I didn't do it earlier instead of whinging about it.

A nice sander does make a lot of difference.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have the Maxxt 5mm. But no comparison. The 3M is has way tighter tolerances so the motor energy is much better translated in to useful work. The Maxxt is still an excellent sander and is the one I usually go to. I have a 5" Maxxt and a Sealy 6". My guess they come from the same factory.
Good to know, I suspected the 3M had better innards, but no way to know without trying one. When you buy a sub $100 sander, I don’t mind buying without trying, but when you spend $300 +, it’s good to get good information if you can’t try it first. I know you could buy one and return it if you’re not happy, but I don’t feel good about doing that unless it turns out to be a total piece of crap.💩

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors