3M R-2091 Particulate Filter P100

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
I've got some, but that won't help you! I don't know what's in your area, but I would check out welding supply stores, Grainger (if you have one), and even your local woodworking store.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
woops, they are not open to the public but in case you find something there that you need, the guy told me to say I was with the Farm Bureau next time I wanted to buy something from there

georgelewisray

New User
george
Curious!

What are folks doing that requires the "P100"-oil vapors, rather than the "N100"-no_oil_vapors ??

I keep a few of the "P100" around but for woodworking, fiberglass etc I just use the "N100"

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I had bought a respirator assembly to use for gluing up something with contact cement where I wouldn't be able to get rid of the fumes very easily so wanted filters I could use with that mask. P100's seem to be the particulate filters for that particular kind of mask. The N100's look like disposable masks so I didn't even look into them.

georgelewisray

New User
george
Thanks for the response.
The 'N100' is in no way inferior to the P100 except for 'OIL vapor', just $1/ea cheaper.
I have been buying 3M 'N100' and 'P100' from McMaster-Carr and the P100 look identical (except for the model designation P<=>N), but 'P' costs about $1+ more per mask.
e.g. from cooper safety web site:http://www.coopersafety.com/product...ck-1201.aspx?gclid=CKTroavb96ICFYx25QodwWUGOA
3M 8233 (N100) $8.45
It provides a minimum filter efficiency of 99.97% against non-oil based particles.
3M 8293 (P100) $9.45
It provides a minimum filter efficiency of 99.97% against oil and non-oil based particles.
3M-8233-N100-Respirator-1-Pack.jpeg

Don't know about 'P100' for aromatic solvents.

I set up and fresh air system with bump cap ($$ and pain in neck) for things that make me nervous.
(fiberglass grinding, Spraying Awlgrip, solvent washing)
R3665-L-501.jpg

zapdafish

New User
Steve

I wear these now whenever I do anything that generates dust. My tablesaw generates a tremendous amount of uncollected dust now that I have replaced the ZCI's with homemade ones. It collects on top of the tablesaw rather than inside the cabinet and it seems to fling it where the overhead dust collection can't reach it.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I've used this 3M distributor in the past:

R.S. Hughes
1100 Corporation Parkway
Raleigh, NC 27610-1300
(919) 231-3800

R.S. Hughes is on the east side of Raleigh, off of East New Bern Ave. / old Rt. 64 (outside the beltline). There's a traffic light at the intersection and a Circle K on the near right corner. They should have such a common item (as the P100 filters) in stock as they carry a wide range of 3M items (respirators, finishing products, adhesives,etc.). However, I'd call ahead just to make sure. Also check on the 'to the public' sales, they used to tell me 'if you have money, you're a customer'. I believe their prices will be better than Grainger's.

I think you've made a great choice in particulate filtration. Nothing beats the 100 rating filters. When I ran a sign shop I asked the 3M tech line about the best filter for lead paint. They suggested the Organic Vapor filters with the P100 pink pancakes on top (they had to be mounted with adapters). The tech told me that the P100 filter was so fine that the lead particles probably wouldn't even make it past that level of protection (the lead based molecules being so large). The Organic Vapor cartridges for the contact cement is spot on but obviously you don't want to use them for particulate filtration as that would clog them with dust.

BTW - here's a clarification of the 'N, R and P' codes found on masks (if you weren't aware):
N for Not resistant to oil,
R for Resistant to oil
P for oil Proof

Dean

georgelewisray

New User
george
The "organic vapor" component seems a wonderful thing but I think that it is not part of the particulate matter ratings that have been discussed so far. (i.e. N,R,P .... thanks for info on 'R')

What can be said about the various options for filtering things other than 'particulate matter', including 'organic vapor and other things ..... what are the other things ??

looking for an education in such matters.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Steve - One operation that can generate oil aerosols and particulate matter could be some forms of metal processing (grinding, etc. where certain types of cutting fluids are being used).

George - I believe that Steve's choice of the P100 filter, for use with particulates, is a great decision. That is what the '100' filters are specifically manufactured for - particle filtration. Other filtration options, that are not particulate filtering, are those designed to give protection from acid gases, ammonia vapors, etc. (all within the specified concentration levels - levels in excess of a filter's capacity obviously require self contained or other air supply sources). You can get a great education from looking over 3M's available literature which is easily found all over the internet. Even a simple Ebay search of 3M respirator filters will give you a good idea of the many products they offer, a capacity that is mirrored by most major respirator manufacturers. I like 3M but they are by no means the only option out there. For me 3M has worked great and they've been cost effective. However, they are not always cheap and I've still chosen them regardless of that fact, their faultless performance has justified buying a 3M product even when it wasn't the lowest priced option.

Here's a 3M link that displays filter options for the 6000 series mask (the one Steve pictured), as well as other 3M half and full face masks. It looks to be their full range of filter products but I'm not sure, there could be other specialty options not displayed:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LES9MG812H2_nid=8D5S5LZ17HbeF3RH7CD92Ngl

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS