3D Illusion PNG Files

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
I'm curious if anyone knows the steps to create these? I've spent considerable time googling and haven't been able to figure it out. Currently I just buy files (like attached) but I really want to have products that are original. The files I buy are pretty cheap, $2-$10 depending on what I find but I want the ability to create when I have an idea. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.JPEG
    IMG_6290.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

Echd

C
User
What do you mean by 3d illusion?

If you just mean an image with the appearance of depth, any software you might be using is capable of translating a grayscale image into a laserable picture.

If you just want to make some cool pictures on a whim, use the Bing AI image creation tool.

You can find it here.

For instance, I will use this prompt to automagically create an image with the appearance of depth.

"a frontal portrait of a longhorn steer; the longhorn is staring directly into the viewer and the image frames his face and horns. the background is clouds and a realistic setting sun on the prairie which illuminates the image. drawn in the style of a high quality painting but in grayscale."

Here is some of what it returns.

What software are you using? That is critical knowledge, and you will still need practice to find what makes an image come out well.

Attachments

• OIG.jpeg
    OIG.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 45
  • OIG.WqHZf6.D6.jpeg
    OIG.WqHZf6.D6.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Wow I had no idea AI was that far along. I did a couple searches and it's good. For depth and 3D appearance the files I have bought have grayscale.

If I want to do this on my own, would it be Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop that is better? I think Illustrator but new to this.

I guess my question would be if I take a photo off a stock website (that I pay for) and want to make it 3D from it's 2D appearance would making it grayscale be the way to do it? I read alot and went from STL files to other stuff. I'm sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm new to laser engraving (got my glowforge a month ago, had xtool for a couple months before and didnt like it)

Again, any help is appreciated, thanks!

Echd

C
User
Very generally speaking yes, making it grayscale would allow your software to generate an image. Most laser software will do that for you.

I don't know much about Glowforge (I think they're a bit of a proprietary setup, aren't they? If so you likely lose a ton of potential functionality) but in lightburn, it's as simple as importing the image and then tweaking contrast/brightness/gamma until it looks about right in the preview. It takes some touch and practice to get a workable end product.

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Glowforge is proprietary and I didn't like it but given I bought the Xtool and it sucked I wanted something reliable. I looked at others but reviews have been mixed for alot. It's been a good machine and gives professional results.

Holy hell having fun with AI images thanks :)

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I am curious why you stated xTool was bad?
I currently own both xTool and Glowforge.

Last edited:

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
I am curious why you stated xTool was bad?
I currently own both xTool and Glowforge.
The xtool (D1 pro 20W) never worked right for me, for example it could never cut a perfect circle which meant the timing belts needed to be adjusted. But it seemed no matter how much i adjusted and tried to get it just right it never was. Their support is in china so the few times I contacted them it was more than a day before they would respond, then the response would be just sending me a video. The glowforge isn't perfect but I do like that it has the camera so you can see exactly where the cut/engraving will be, whereas with xtool all you have is the framing to tell you where it was going to cut or engrave.

Are you close to Greensboro? If I could take the xtool over to have you look at it and see if you know how to make it work right that would be really helpful; right now it just sits there not being used.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I recently won a Creality 40W laser and all this is new to me. What sort of file do you need? Does a simple heightmap (gray scale image) work or do you need a mesh generated from the heightmap?

I was just doodling while waiting for my lunch to cook and made a mesh from one of the images Echd shared. This is 3D geometry that could be used to generate gcode or other files.
Screenshot - 12_26_2023 , 12_29_52 PM.png

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
The xtool (D1 pro 20W) never worked right for me, for example it could never cut a perfect circle which meant the timing belts needed to be adjusted. But it seemed no matter how much i adjusted and tried to get it just right it never was. Their support is in china so the few times I contacted them it was more than a day before they would respond, then the response would be just sending me a video. The glowforge isn't perfect but I do like that it has the camera so you can see exactly where the cut/engraving will be, whereas with xtool all you have is the framing to tell you where it was going to cut or engrave.

Are you close to Greensboro? If I could take the xtool over to have you look at it and see if you know how to make it work right that would be really helpful; right now it just sits there not being used.
Comparing the D1 to Glowforge isn't Apples to Apples.
Compare the xTool P2 to Glowforge and you will get a better comparison.

So we don't hijack this thread. I will send you a PM about getting the D1 fixed.

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Comparing the D1 to Glowforge isn't Apples to Apples.
Compare the xTool P2 to Glowforge and you will get a better comparison.

So we don't hijack this thread. I will send you a PM about getting the D1 fixed.
Yes, not to confuse anyone a 20W diode laser and a 45W CO2 laser will be different. And thank you for the message I appreciate it!

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
I recently won a Creality 40W laser and all this is new to me. What sort of file do you need? Does a simple heightmap (gray scale image) work or do you need a mesh generated from the heightmap?

I was just doodling while waiting for my lunch to cook and made a mesh from one of the images Echd shared. This is 3D geometry that could be used to generate gcode or other files.
View attachment 224446
That's a cool drawing. Attached are a couple of the files I have bought, I think the way they're grayscaling is what creates the 3d illusion since it engraves lighter in some spots and darker in others

Attachments

• highlandcow1LightBurn.png
    highlandcow1LightBurn.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • ChristmasBell2LightBurn.png
    ChristmasBell2LightBurn.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
That's a cool drawing. Attached are a couple of the files I have bought, I think the way they're grayscaling is what creates the 3d illusion since it engraves lighter in some spots and darker in others
Yes. The gray scale image is used as a height map. The gray value of each pixel is translated into a different height. You ought to be able to do that with most any image. I did a quickie from the attached color image. I changed it into a gray scale image and cropped it. I made the meshshown but obviously you wouldn't need to do that. Adding a bit of softening would reduce the harshness of the height map, too.
Blackrock Cottage GlencoeHM.jpg Screenshot - 12_26_2023 , 5_31_54 PM.png

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Yes. The gray scale image is used as a height map. The gray value of each pixel is translated into a different height. You ought to be able to do that with most any image. I did a quickie from the attached color image. I changed it into a gray scale image and cropped it. I made the meshshown but obviously you wouldn't need to do that. Adding a bit of softening would reduce the harshness of the height map, too.
View attachment 224455 View attachment 224456
Thank you....I have SO MUCH to learn!

kserdar

Ken
Senior User

For those wondering about the xtool D1 ... after a trip to my shop, it now works and will hopefully start being used to its full potential.

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
For those wondering about the xtool D1 ... after a trip to my shop, it now works and will hopefully start being used to its full potential.
Indeed it works now. I appreciate the help, the time spent making it work right and had an enjoyable visit with Ken and his wife. A morning/afternoon well spent making new friends and restoring a $1500 investment. Very grateful. Hope y'all have a great New Year!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS