346,366 Board Feet of Lumber!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

Just was wondering if anyone out there has seen this auction! Get 667 bf for $150 if that's the winning bid....Wow just wow:elvis:

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=12559

The only thing is, you have to have a flat bed trailer to haul it they will only load it onto to that. And if each board weighs 9lbs thats 6003lbs thats the max my truck will pull. Whew!:swoon:

I was just hinking if someon out there with some major hauling equipment bought it up and then turned around and sold it to use NCWW's for $1 a bf then he would still make money, that saying, I would purchase the small 667bf I would go for the 3900 Bf for $800 turn it around that's $3900 minus $800= $3100 minus gas???:dontknow:

Anyway I will shut up now,:crossedlips:

Enjoy, Don't drool to much like I did!:gar-Bi

Ehardin

New User
Ed
I've been watchig this site for some time now.... You can grab some incredible deals if your willing to drive a little ways..... I have been wondering myself how to get some of this lumber and was hoping someone would come up with a good plan. This could be a good fundraising idea for this site.....

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I too have been drooling :jiggy: over this, however I do not have access to a flat bed truck. I did contact them to at least see what the lengths are and they said in general 10-16'

I think if someone does have the ability to pick this up that it would be a good fund raising tool.

I can also add that a few years ago there was an auction by the same auction company which had a lot of wood. I roughly remember the cheapest 2000ish bf cherry pack going for just over $2k, but I'm not sure if that comparison is valid given the economy and the fact that this particular has a lot more wood than the other one I remember.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
There are good deals there, but bear in mind you usually have to pay 10% more than your bid to the auction co. and they often have a loading fee too.

Doug

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I've been watchig this site for some time now.... You can grab some incredible deals if your willing to drive a little ways..... I have been wondering myself how to get some of this lumber and was hoping someone would come up with a good plan. This could be a good fundraising idea for this site.....

Just curious..The fundraising idea you mentioned would that be selling wood to raise money? If that is correct how would that jive with the people paying advertising to sell wood if the site itself is competing with the business paying for the advertising?

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I'm on their email list and check in occasionally. I looked at the auction calendar last night for the first time in a while. Good deals if they go for cheap. To bad a lot of the auctions are from companies closing in NC.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
This may cause more of a headache than it's worth, but if anyone is interested in some of this lumber, but does not want to buy the whole lot, PM me. I am interested in the maple and poplar, but really don't need more than 100BF of each. If there are enough folks, maybe we can get a group together and go in on one of these lots.

M

McRabbet

Just curious..The fundraising idea you mentioned would that be selling wood to raise money? If that is correct how would that jive with the people paying advertising to sell wood if the site itself is competing with the business paying for the advertising?
Kyle,

I agree with you 100%. I think it would be a violation of our non-profit status as well as being unethical. We have other means of raising funds and this won't be one of them.

insteadof

New User
james
Why not?

Note: James, I removed the political comment -- not allowed under site policy.

Please read my post above. Members may buy any of this lumber, but our non-profit corporation cannot use it as part of a fund-raising mechanism unless it were donated to us. Thanks for understanding. McRabbet

Last edited by a moderator:

Ehardin

New User
Ed
I was just saying it could raise funds for this site but should have added that it would be sold only within this site to members.... Was just a thought....

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
And if each board weighs 9lbs thats 6003lbs thats the max my truck will pull.

I'm not sure I'm following your math. According to the WoodWeb calculator, 667 pounds of white oak (for example) weighs 2580 pounds (at 14% MC...which was purely a guess).

I'm considering bidding on some white oak...but the only lots are ~1200 bdft...which comes to 4861. That's waaaay past the towing capacity of my Jeep. I've towed well past the rated capacity before, but I'm not going that far :(

I'm not sure how much I need for the intended project yet, but I'm guessing its around 800 bf. A 26' U-Haul will cost <$200 up and back (plus gas) and carry 7400 lbs. Wanna split one?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Does anyone have actual experience buying this way? What should one expect as far as quality - log run? FAS? mixed bag? hope for the best?

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I haven't clicked on all of the individual lots but all I have claim the quality to be #1 common and dressed to 15/16"

Also as previous mentioned here, this auction will not allow you to pick up this lumber in a box truck (i.e. Uhaul).

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I'm not sure I'm following your math. According to the WoodWeb calculator, 667 pounds of white oak (for example) weighs 2580 pounds (at 14% MC...which was purely a guess).

I'm considering bidding on some white oak...but the only lots are ~1200 bdft...which comes to 4861. That's waaaay past the towing capacity of my Jeep. I've towed well past the rated capacity before, but I'm not going that far :(

I'm not sure how much I need for the intended project yet, but I'm guessing its around 800 bf. A 26' U-Haul will cost <$200 up and back (plus gas) and carry 7400 lbs. Wanna split one?

Ahh Look what I have started.... :gar-Bi

Anyway about the Math I was just guessing a board could weigh 9lbs, I guess I was way off :eusa_doh:, But as far as I know 667lbs is still 667 lbs no matter how you do the math. :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: Unless you ment 667 Board feet, that would make more sense :slap:

Anyway good luck with the Uhaul thing as they will only load a Flat bed trailer and no rails! :no: Or else I would be all over it as I am sure many others would be.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Yes...sorry...I was referencing your original post - 667 bf, not 667 lbs.

I understand that _they_ will only load a flatbed...but had assumed that _I_ could load a box truck. Apparently this is not the case. Seems like an unnecessary limitation, but I guess they must have their reasons.

bluchz

bluchz
User
oOne thing to consider is that hauling 25 tons of this stuff can cost you anywhere between $2.80/mile to $3.20/mile.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If this works like most IRS auctions they will have a loading dock you can back up to with a pickup/trailer and wait for a front end loader to move the stack to the edge. With 2 people you can load off of the dock down to the bed. Just ask when you check in with the auction rep on site who is usually in the shipping/receiving office near the dock where you need to be. The issue, especially the first few days after the auction, is that you have the big riggers waiting in line to load. If you will obstruct the dock for too long they can always drop the load in a far corner of the dock or off the dock on the lot.

I think you will be shocked at how much these lots will go for when they close. Usually they go way up the last few hours and will not be as tempting. Just don't get caught up in a bidding war (or as Mary Ann says "Testosterone Storm":gar-Bi) for something that is sight un-seen.
Also...if you win you'll have to do a wire transfer or send a cashier's check within a business day or two. It takes them ~another day to send you a confirmation/pickup instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors