3-jaw chuck marring work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
There's not a way to keep this from happening that I know of. That's why most folks us jumbo jaws, or a jam chuck to reverse the bowl and turn the foot last.
Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How are you chucking??? Often if you chuck in a recess the marks are lost. But with a tenon they will be quite visible. Makinsawdust has the best answer, turn off your chucking method after you turn the bowl.
A very wise turner once told me that the secret to a good turning is to not let folks know how it was turned. I always pick up a turned piece and look to see how it was held...with the best you can't tell.

Dave:)

William Roscoe

New User
William
That's the same chuck I've been "learning with". My problem is I'm using spalted maple and you cannot over tighten the jaws or the wood will split. That being said, I've been dodging bowls flying thru my shop. Someday I'm going to get a chuck with the little angled piece I can put in the recess and spread it out.

striker

New User
Stephen
Mike,

Purely a guess here, but is it possible to make/use a split ring between your work piece and the chuck? In other words a sacrificail piece that would spread the load over a larger area on your work piece.

Possibly a laminated piece of hardwood so it would have some integrity and not fly apart.

Stephen

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am a software developer, so I am adept at making problems into features...

Carefully reposition the bowl a few times and you will end up with a dental molding effect on the rim. :rotflm:

I saw your other thread and it seems you have the 4 jaw now.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
I am a software developer, so I am adept at making problems into features...

Carefully reposition the bowl a few times and you will end up with a dental molding effect on the rim. :rotflm:
I saw your other thread and it seems you have the 4 jaw now.

I love it! Dental molding :icon_cheers
I don't have the other chuck yet, but all will be well very soon.
I like the split rign idea, though. I may have to try that just for giggles.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS