3/4" Plywood

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Who in the Triangle sells plywood that is actually 3/4"? What is the name of 3/4" plywood that is actually 3/4"? I need some to replicate a panel that is more than 40 years old.

s-l1600.jpg

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
As you're probably realizing - most, (all at this point?) plywood is slightly undersized, and/or metric depending on the source, mostly by roughly 1/32", (0.03"). That said, sanding to flush things out, (assuming you're re-finishing the whole piece), would be the most common approach here, or alternately, milling a true 3/4" piece of a comparable wood species would work. The grain is a little wild there, which suggests some "exotic" species, but you may be able to get a stained piece of cherry or walnut to match, (the photo makes that piece look a little "redder" than walnut, but it may be the lighting.

If it were me, I'd stick w/ the solid wood route here, as a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade cherry or walnut veneered ply would be VERY expensive, considering the very small amount it looks like you need. From your pic, it doesn't look like you need more than a ~3"x18" piece?

skiz2331

Mike
User
As you're probably realizing - most, (all at this point?) plywood is slightly undersized, and/or metric depending on the source, mostly by roughly 1/32", (0.03"). That said, sanding to flush things out, (assuming you're re-finishing the whole piece), would be the most common approach here, or alternately, milling a true 3/4" piece of a comparable wood species would work. The grain is a little wild there, which suggests some "exotic" species, but you may be able to get a stained piece of cherry or walnut to match, (the photo makes that piece look a little "redder" than walnut, but it may be the lighting.

If it were me, I'd stick w/ the solid wood route here, as a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade cherry or walnut veneered ply would be VERY expensive, considering the very small amount it looks like you need. From your pic, it doesn't look like you need more than a ~3"x18" piece?
That looks to me like a piece of old 3/4" fir (possibly rotary cut face) plywood. And obviously oxidized over the years. I might even guess that it's marine grade.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Plywood is still made from thin layers of wood, it swells and contracts some in thickness seasonally.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors