3/1/08 - Sat - Raleigh Klingspor Open House - Can we do any Demos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Paul sent this as an email. I think he is afraid of posting himself.:rotflm::slap:
Paul Rolfe said:
Steve,

We are having an Open House at the store on March 1 to kick off our week long Customer Appreciation Days. TWA, the local woodturning club and a couple of the woodcarving clubs are going to set up a table for their club and demonstrate. TWA is using a bandsaw and a scroll saw in their demos. Do you think that anyone from ncwoodworker could set up a table to promote the site and demonstrate from 9am to 3pm?

We will provide lunch and double discounts for the participating demonstrators. Let me know if you can get anyone to represent ncwoodworker and what possible demonstrations that they can do. Thanks

Paul
If you are interested in doing a Demo Representing NCWW, please send me a PM

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It would be great to come up with some demo ideas that didn't involve a scrollsaw, bandsaw or lathe. So that we could be unique from the other demos that are going on. Any ideas? I could do something but I don't know what to do.
Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
How about sanding and/or finishing .....wood prep etc.
Maybe a router demo ?
I know as a rookie I would enjoy seeing those things demonstrated

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A router demo is a good idea, and would drown out the sound of everybody else's demos :-D
Maybe router inlays :eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin
I think sanding and finishing would take too long. They have to be pretty quick to keep a viewers attention.

Sweeping and cleaning up....I have no idea on how that is done :lol::lol::lol:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
How about preparing rough cut lumber? You know joining, planning, resaw (I know band saw), bookend glue up, etc?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
My Table saw moves pretty easy and it has a router in it. I havent done a fence for it but I could by then. Maybe Klingspor could provide dust collector? It would need 220 Hook-up

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If we are brainstorming, what about a sharpening demo. There are those with the Tormec, Worksharp, etc (don't know what brands they carry at Klingspor's in the power sharpening arena) as well as there is always the scary sharp if someone has a Veritas (which I do know they carry). Could be for turner tools, plane irons, chisels, etc.

I don't think they would like the cheapo methods I use, tho, 'cause it wouldn't do much to promote their products (that I will buy as $$ come available)

For those that have mastered one of the dovetail jigs, I see many people asking "how do I?" questions on several forums.

Just some thoughts.

Go

PS: Looks like Nick out-typed me!!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
My Table saw moves pretty easy and it has a router in it. I havent done a fence for it but I could by then. Maybe Klingspor could provide dust collector? It would need 220 Hook-up
I know you talked to Paul about this, but both he and I were unclear what you intended to demo.

I'm a little uneasy about this after thinking on it. Klingspor is going supply the needed power tools for everyone else. I don't think any of us should supply any, unless the table you are thinking about bringing has some unique feature.

Besides, I think I know what Paul would prefer. See next post.:gar-Bi

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I talked to paul about this whole thing and I get the feeling, he would love us to do pen turning:swoon: What again:elvis: Actualy what he has in mind could be of benefit to both them and us.

They are carrying a new line of pen kits. Paul would like to get a pen made from each kit for display purposes. He would supply the lathe and kits and blanks. We could do a continous pen turning, one right after another. This would get the most NCWW'ers involved. Each person who comes over who knows how turns a pen. Which means each penturner get double discounts. Then if we have others to man the table in 1 -2 hour shifts, we could get a lot people qualified for the double discounts:thumbs_up:icon_thum:eusa_danc:kermit:

So what do you think?????

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
:)
I talked to paul about this whole thing and I get the feeling, he would love us to do pen turning:swoon: What again:elvis: Actualy what he has in mind could be of benefit to both them and us.

They are carrying a new line of pen kits. Paul would like to get a pen made from each kit for display purposes. He would supply the lathe and kits and blanks. We could do a continous pen turning, one right after another. This would get the most NCWW'ers involved. Each person who comes over who knows how turns a pen. Which means each penturner get double discounts. Then if we have others to man the table in 1 -2 hour shifts, we could get a lot people qualified for the double discounts:thumbs_up:icon_thum:eusa_danc:kermit:

Sorry,

But right now I don't go over to the Dark Side, But......DaveO , I think someone is calling your name with a 20% off offer.:lol::lol::lol:

Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I think it is a great idea. I was trying to figure out how to haul my lathe over to the store for the demo. I am up for it, if my wife lets me stay in town that weekend :eusa_eh:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
What kind of kits are they carrrying now. Do some need to be made ahead of time?
I'll check with Paul, but if he has drill press, I don't see whay we can't make them in assembly fashion mode.

I was also thinking we take one those pen and put a CA finish on it as a demo itself.

The kits are coming direct from China:swoon:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll check with Paul, but if he has drill press, I don't see why we can't make them in assembly fashion mode.

I was also thinking we take one those pens and put a CA finish on it as a demo itself. No problem, I wouldn't have it any other way. Half or more of pen turning is the finish :icon_thum

The kits are coming direct from China:swoon:
Aren't they all :eusa_sile

cptully

New User
Chris
I've never tried pen turning, but I would be willing to man the table and talk to people. I have done a few intro level turning projects on my dad's lathe, but no truly finished projects.

Chris Tully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS