2nd Writing Desk Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Here is the second small writing desk that I completed today for my second youngest daughter.

100_2454.jpg

100_2459.jpg

Built using pretty much the last of the white oak that got from Scott Smith late last December.:icon_thum

With this desk I tried a couple of things different. Once I completed the leg to apron joinery (five 3/8” dowels at each leg/apron intersection) I put together a web frame with pocket screws to support the drawer runners. This was quick and helped me to ensure that the leg/apron assembly was square. I fastened the web frame and kickers to the front and rear aprons with biscuits.

100_2442.jpg

100_2436.jpg

I couldn't’t get through this project either without a couple of gotcha’s. :swoon:

First. While trying to ensure that I had continuous wood grain flow in the front apron with the two drawers, I plum forgot about the saw kerf loss each time I made the cut for the drawers and dividers. As a result the side to side reveal on the drawers really sucks!!!! :eusa_doh:Oh well. I’ll know better next time and not cut the apron to its final length before I crosscut for the drawers and openings.

Second on the list of OH NO’s!!!:gar-Cr was a way too mature/old and contaminated can of clear shellac that I decided would be ok for the drawer bottoms and sides. As you can see from this picture, the drawer bottoms turned from red oak to black walnut in a couple of swipes of clear shellac!!!!

100_2446.jpg

They say that with each woodworking project you have the opportunity to learn something new – no truer words were ever spoken!

I laid on one coat of golden pecan stain and four coats of wiping varnish and am calling it complete!

Daughter is satisfied, so daddy is satisfied!!!!:gar-Bi

Thanks for looking!

Wayne

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Excellent job. The detailed photos and gotchas are much appreciated!! I've never used shellac before. Any further ideas on why/how that happened (from you or others)?? I could understand if it were contaminated by a tint from prior use (and returning the applicator to the can). But you said it was clear shellac?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful, Wayne! ! ! :notworthy: You did a great job of the continuous grain on the front apron and drawers. As for that shellac problem, I kinda like the contrast it gave you on the drawer bottoms. I agree w/ you about learning something from every project. I'm working on some shop cabinets right now and I'm intentionally trying a number of things I've either never tried, or am not very good at. I figure if they don't work out, nobody will ever see them but me. :gar-La;

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice work Wayne! When I looked the front, I noticed the continuous grain, not any difference in reveal. So I think you done good.....

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nice work Wayne.:icon_thum:icon_thum how did you attach the legs to that purdy MDF base?:rotflm: I think the drawers look great.:icon_thum

eyekode

New User
Salem
That is quality Wayne! Super slim reveals are sexy but as long as they are even I think they look great :).

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Second on the list of OH NO’s!!!:gar-Cr was a way too mature/old and contaminated can of clear shellac that I decided would be ok for the drawer bottoms and sides. As you can see from this picture, the drawer bottoms turned from red oak to black walnut in a couple of swipes of clear shellac!!!!

Doood! I always look at the pics before reading the post (and I often eat dessert before dinner instead of after). I saw the drawers and thought "Dang! He picked a contrasting wood for the drawer bottoms! How awesome is that?!?!?" It totally looks like you did it on purpose.

I love the clean styling of the desk. Well done, Wayne! :icon_cheers:eusa_clap

mattiep

New User
Matt
I think that all artists tend to dwell on the flaws in their own work while others find only the good. Wayne, you are an artist. Beautiful work, keep it up!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent job. The detailed photos and gotchas are much appreciated!! I've never used shellac before. Any further ideas on why/how that happened (from you or others)?? I could understand if it were contaminated by a tint from prior use (and returning the applicator to the can). But you said it was clear shellac?

Mike

Thanks for the kind words.

In reference to the shellac episode, I posted the problem on Sunday here ....

http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/shellac-over-white-oak-33311/

The partial can of clear shellac had been sitting on the shelf for quite awhile. Trying to save some pennies I decided to use it up! The reply I received from Howard Acheson, who BTW I consider to be our resident finishing expert, pretty much confirmed to me that the shellac had eaten through the interior can coating and introduced contaminates to the product. All in all, it had a bad reaction when it came into contact with the tannin in the oak; hence the horrible darkening!:elvis:

Needless to say, that can is now history. Fortunately, I wasn't using it on any external surfaces on the desk. I have learned a new finishing lesson.:wink_smil

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks so much everyone for all of your kind words!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

It really means a lot to me coming from so many great woodworkers!:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

RickC

New User
Rick
Very nicely done! I, too, only noticed the continuous grain on the front, and would not even have noticed your self proclaimed "oops"! Beautiful piece I am sure your daughter will enjoy it for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS