2023 September Contest: Scroll/Intarsia Creations - Time to Vote

We had one scroll saw novice entry and five veteran creators. Please select your preferred creation

• Scott (ScottM), Eagle

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Berta (Berta), Founding Fathers

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Bob Vaughn (bob vaughn), "5"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe (JNCarr), In the Garden

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • banin (banin), Sunrise

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scroll/Intarsia Creations

Rules:
-Must be created/completed within the last 24 months - here's a reason to sell/gift the old and build the new.
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month)
-Each creator can win a contest no more than once every six months.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality. Limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post per submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, i.e., "Start Conversation". I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, tempers biasing the voting, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum or a Resource article.
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Each monthly contest will have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking, cumulative. Journeyman/veteran/pro is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies.

This is going to be impressive, I'm sure.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my entry. The design is by Judy Gale Roberts of Tennessee. It is made up of 43 separate pieces. No stain, dye or paints were used. Only two coats of a clear gel poly is applied as a finish. ¾” wood is used throughout. The 3D effect and texturing are achieved with the use of shims, carving wheel, and sanding. The woods used are Walnut, Yellow-heart and Holly. The eye is a piece of dowel blackened with a wood burning iron. The wing spread on the eagle is roughly 24".
NCWW Eagle.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Now that those are out of the way, let’s have some from non-professional scrollers.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come on folks. There is probably only 4-5 journeyman scrollers on this site. There are a lot of you novice scrollers that have stuff to enter …. Hank, Neal, Rich,….

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
OK,
But I am going to try to make something...

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump
Reminder, $25 Gift Card for the novice entry winner, and $25 Gift Card for the veteran (a.k.a., journeymen) entry winner. Show your stuff. We like pictures!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is my entry. Novice on the scrollsaw.

I play a video game named Call of Duty, and "DMZ" is one of the game modes. The top is 1/4" MDF painted black, the backer is 1/4" plywood painted white. I used superglue to attach them together. Attached is a logo I imported into Inkscape to create a SVG file I could resize. Size is about 6"x6".

communityIcon_e65w4w5355o91.jpg

20230915_085635.jpg

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Reminder, Steve Good has thousands of free scroll saw patterns. Just download one, print, cut. Easy.
Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Reminder, Steve Good has thousands of free scroll saw patterns. Just download one, print, cut. Easy.
Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com
And post your work here!!
We like pictures. Yup, we sure do.

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
"In the Garden" intarsia.
Concept, Karen (my much better half), original artwork and intarsia pattern by yours truly,
56" x 34" - 124 pieces. Mostly 3/4 inch thick with some 1/8" inlay. No dyes, stains, paints. Finished with poly or lacquer.
Shaped with chisels, spokeshave, horizontal and vertical and good ol' hand sanding. Spacers (up to 1/2") used to add depth.
Woods used (A-Z): Aspen, birch, cedar, cherry, maple (hard), maple (soft), maple (wormy), oak (red), oak (white), poplar, sapele, walnut, wenge, zebrawood.

Attachments

• In the Garden 2.jpg
    In the Garden 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Concept, Karen (my much better half), original artwork and intarsia pattern by yours truly,
56" x 34" - 124 pieces. Mostly 3/4 inch thick with some 1/8" inlay. No dyes, stains, paints. Finished with poly or lacquer.
Shaped with chisels, spokeshave, horizontal and vertical and good ol' hand sanding. Spacers (up to 1/2") used to add depth.
Woods used (A-Z): Aspen, birch, cedar, cherry, maple (hard), maple (soft), maple (wormy), oak (red), oak (white), poplar, sapele, walnut, wenge, zebrawood.
Absolutely stunning!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Beautiful!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Someone called my Sunrise "Intarsia"...is it? If so-its my entry :)
Wonderful piece and I say it qualifies for this contest. Very nice. If you want to get really technical it is called segmentation. Segmentation is a scroll saw process that is normally cut from the same piece of wood and stained different colors to make a picture/design. It is usually flat. Technically intarsia is 3 dimensional and uses different types and colored woods. No stain or paint is used. For both intarsia and segmentation, a scroll saw is really not required. Some people us a band saw, coping saw or other means to cut the wood. As a matter of fact, the most recognized intarsia artist of our time, Judy Gale Roberts, started doing intarsia on a band saw.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump. This contest closes 9/30. Get those entry in for a chance win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors